Re: [PrimeNumbers] new formula for calc'ing pi(x)

  • Jens Kruse Andersen
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 15, 2006
      leavemsg1 wrote:
      > First,... is pi(4,000,000) approximately 283,010?
      >
      > If so, then what is the error?
      >
      > My computer doesn't have enough power to find the exact number.

      Yes it does, but your program is awfully slow.
      pi(4,000,000) = 283146

      http://primes.utm.edu/nthprime can find pi(x) for x < 3*10^13.
      (That page isn't working for me now)
      Tomás Oliveira e Silva has tables of pi(x) for round x up to 4*10^22:
      http://www.ieeta.pt/~tos/primes.html

      --
      Jens Kruse Andersen
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 15, 2006
        --- leavemsg1 <leavemsg1@...> wrote:
        > Hello, Group.
        >
        > First,... is pi(4,000,000) approximately 283,010?

        Yes.

        > If so, then what is the error?

        less than sqrt(n), approximately log(n)^2.

        > My computer doesn't have enough power to find the exact number.

        I have a 68HC908 on my desk at the moment, I suspect that even
        that has enough power to perform such a computation.

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Chris Caldwell
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 15, 2006
          > http://primes.utm.edu/nthprime can find pi(x) for x < 3*10^13.
          > (That page isn't working for me now)

          Repaired. I replaced the broken server with a new one
          a week or so ago and still am having trouble getting SELinux
          security contexts set right. But those are now linking.
          Mail me off list of anything else not working

          Chris