Re: [PrimeNumbers] Another easy PARI question

  • Peter Kosinar
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 8, 2006
      > Sorry 'bout this but I just can't find some obvious things in the PARI
      > manual, I hope I didn't miss it...
      >
      > Anyway: the easy instruction "factor(N)" yeilds a matrix. What function
      > will tell me just the length and width of the matrix? The length should
      > always be 2 but the width will be the number of different factors.

      The factor(N) function returns a matrix with W rows, where W is the number
      of distinct prime factors of N and each row consists of two elements --
      the prime and its exponent in factorization of N. W itself can be found
      using the function omega(N).

      However, if you have already computed the factorization of N, it might be
      much faster to use matsize(A) function, which returns the dimensions of
      matrix A as a two-element vector (so that you can use matsize(A)[1] or
      matsize(A)[2] to get your "width" and "length").

      Peter

      --
      [Name] Peter Kosinar [Quote] 2B | ~2B = exp(i*PI) [ICQ] 134813278