psp(5) to 10^12

  • Kermit Rose
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 24, 2006
      1. a file of Fermat psp(5)S up to 10^12 or higher??
      Posted by: "hanrahan398" hanrahan398@... hanrahan398
      Date: Fri Jun 23, 2006 12:46 PM (PDT)

      I'd be grateful if someone could direct my attention to where I might
      get hold of a file of psp(5)S up to 10^12 or higher.

      Many thanks!

      Michael

      ******

      >From web site

      http://www.cs.xu.edu/math/math302/04f/hints.html

      I found this note.

      6.1.4

      It is actually not feasible to "construct a table that contains all the
      numbers less than or equal to 10^9
      that are pseudoprimes to bases 2, 3, and 5." There are just too many
      numbers to check.

      When I implemented the Maple code I wrote for this problem, it took ten
      minutes for the machine to find the
      appropriate list of numbers up to 2 million. At this rate it should take
      5000 minutes = 83 hours to build the
      entire table of psp(2,3,5)S up to one billion!!! (I am calling a number
      psp(2,3,5) if it is simultaneously a
      psp(2), psp(3) and psp(5).) What I suggest you do instead is to build your
      code so that it checks an interval
      of just 1000 numbers in order to search for psp(2,3,5) values, and then
      adjust the endpoints of the interval to
      determine a complete list of psp(2,3,5) values near the numbers whose
      primality we are testing

      Kermit < kermit@... >