Search Power of PARI/GP

  • Roahn Wynar
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 19, 2006
      OK, so I have learned to use PARI/GP and I am doing certain explorations. I am looking for composite numbers with certain properties and my most streamlined routine takes 20 hours to cover from 1 to 200,000,000 (the property is rather complex actually). I wan't data at least to 1 billion, but I would like even more. Is it typical for PARI users to search up to a billion or am I expecting to much? I just want to make sure I am using the best tool for the job. Is PARI the best price/simplicity/speed package?

      As before, I realize this is a rather naieve question for you experts, I am sorry. But I promise an interesting result when I am done. Uh, interesting to me at least :).....

      Roahn

    • Jud McCranie
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 19, 2006
        At 09:37 PM 6/19/2006, Roahn Wynar wrote:

        >OK, so I have learned to use PARI/GP and I am doing certain explorations.
        >I am looking for composite numbers with certain properties and my most
        >streamlined routine takes 20 hours to cover from 1 to 200,000,000 (the
        >property is rather complex actually). I wan't data at least to 1 billion,
        >but I would like even more. Is it typical for PARI users to search up to a
        >billion or am I expecting to much? I just want to make sure I am using the
        >best tool for the job. Is PARI the best price/simplicity/speed package?
        >
        >As before, I realize this is a rather naieve question for you experts, I
        >am sorry. But I promise an interesting result when I am done. Uh,
        >interesting to me at least :).....

        For numbers in that range, a language that compiles to native language will
        probably be much faster. What are you doing?
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 20, 2006
          --- Jud McCranie <j.mccranie@...> wrote:
          > >streamlined routine takes 20 hours to cover from 1 to 200,000,000 (the
          >
          > For numbers in that range, a language that compiles to native language will
          > probably be much faster. What are you doing?

          Agreed, Jud. If other languages are not familiar, then perhaps using the GP2C
          translator might be an option. You need to be able to (follow the example
          showing you how to) compile C, but you just write your algorithm in GP as
          before.

          One handy hint - if you're dealing with arrays of values that are all small
          (<2G), then use vecsmall rather than vector.

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Ron
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 24, 2006
            --- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com, "Roahn Wynar" <rwynar@...> wrote:
            > I am looking for composite numbers with certain properties

            Such that the factors have the same number of significant binary bits
            perhaps? ;-)
          • Paul Leyland
            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 24, 2006
              Before examining alternative languages you should perhaps examine
              alternative algorithms.

              What properties are of interest? We may be able to suggest algorithms.

              Paul