Pronunciation of "Germain"?

  • Jack Brennen
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 10 9:28 AM
      All:

      We're naming our new dog "Sophie Germain" and we were wondering about
      the correct pronunciation of the name. I think we've got a handle on
      Sophie, but the last name?? We've been saying it "zher-MANE" which
      sounds reasonable to American ears, but maybe somebody who is fluent
      in French could give me the actual way to pronounce it...

      Thanks,
      Jack
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 10 1:10 PM
        --- Jack Brennen <jb@...> wrote:
        > We're naming our new dog "Sophie Germain" and we were wondering about
        > the correct pronunciation of the name. I think we've got a handle on
        > Sophie, but the last name?? We've been saying it "zher-MANE" which
        > sounds reasonable to American ears, but maybe somebody who is fluent
        > in French could give me the actual way to pronounce it...

        One would presume it's the same way as in Paris Saint Germain.

        In Kirshenbaum ASCII IPA, it's probably /Z@,m&~/ or /ZR,m&~/

        http://mail.yahoo.com