Re: [PrimeNumbers] Differences of primes

  • Josechu Gonzalez
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 3, 2006
      On 6/3/06, huevon <elmerohuevo@...> wrote:

      > Hi everybody...
      >
      > Apparently there is a famous conjecture that every
      > even number greater than two is the difference of two
      > primes.
      > 1st question: Does this conjecture have a standard
      > name, as do the twin primes and Goldbach's conjecture.
      > 2nd question: Here is a related conjecture: infinitely
      > many even numbers can be written as a difference of
      > primes in infinitely many ways.
      > Does this conjecture have a name, or a history?

      The Polignac conjecture is even stronger: "All" even numbers can be written
      as a difference of
      primes in infinitely many ways.

      Josechu

      Thanx,

      > elmerohuevo

      > Yahoo! Groups Links

    • huevon
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 4, 2006
        Thank you, Josechu and Conrad. That put me on the
        track.
        The de Polignac conjecture (he was a French
        mathematician of the 19th Century) is that all even
        numbers are the diffence of two primes in infinitely
        many ways.

        elmerohuevo

        --- conrad eaton <conradeaton@...> wrote:

        ---------------------------------

        DePolignac

        If anyone has a problem with me, the problem is his,
        not mine.

        ---------------------------------
        From: huevon <elmerohuevo@...>
        To: primenumbers@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: [PrimeNumbers] Differences of primes
        Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2006 14:58:38 -0700 (PDT)

        Hi everybody...

        Apparently there is a famous conjecture that every
        even number greater than two is the difference of two
        primes.
        1st question: Does this conjecture have a standard
        name, as do the twin primes and Goldbach's conjecture.
        2nd question: Here is a related conjecture: infinitely
        many even numbers can be written as a difference of
        primes in infinitely many ways.
        Does this conjecture have a name, or a history?

        Thanx,

        elmerohuevo

        Mathematics education Mathematics and computer science
        Number theory

        Terms of Service.

        http://mail.yahoo.com