Differences of primes

  • huevon
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 3, 2006
      Hi everybody...

      Apparently there is a famous conjecture that every
      even number greater than two is the difference of two
      primes.
      1st question: Does this conjecture have a standard
      name, as do the twin primes and Goldbach's conjecture.
      2nd question: Here is a related conjecture: infinitely
      many even numbers can be written as a difference of
      primes in infinitely many ways.
      Does this conjecture have a name, or a history?

      Thanx,

      elmerohuevo

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Josechu Gonzalez
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 3, 2006
        On 6/3/06, huevon <elmerohuevo@...> wrote:

        > Hi everybody...
        >
        > Apparently there is a famous conjecture that every
        > even number greater than two is the difference of two
        > primes.
        > 1st question: Does this conjecture have a standard
        > name, as do the twin primes and Goldbach's conjecture.
        > 2nd question: Here is a related conjecture: infinitely
        > many even numbers can be written as a difference of
        > primes in infinitely many ways.
        > Does this conjecture have a name, or a history?

        The Polignac conjecture is even stronger: "All" even numbers can be written
        as a difference of
        primes in infinitely many ways.

        Josechu

        Thanx,

        > elmerohuevo

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • huevon
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 4, 2006
          Thank you, Josechu and Conrad. That put me on the
          track.
          The de Polignac conjecture (he was a French
          mathematician of the 19th Century) is that all even
          numbers are the diffence of two primes in infinitely
          many ways.

          elmerohuevo

          --- conrad eaton <conradeaton@...> wrote:

          ---------------------------------

          DePolignac

          If anyone has a problem with me, the problem is his,
          not mine.

          ---------------------------------
          From: huevon <elmerohuevo@...>
          To: primenumbers@yahoogroups.com
          Subject: [PrimeNumbers] Differences of primes
          Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2006 14:58:38 -0700 (PDT)

          Hi everybody...

          Apparently there is a famous conjecture that every
          even number greater than two is the difference of two
          primes.
          1st question: Does this conjecture have a standard
          name, as do the twin primes and Goldbach's conjecture.
          2nd question: Here is a related conjecture: infinitely
          many even numbers can be written as a difference of
          primes in infinitely many ways.
          Does this conjecture have a name, or a history?

          Thanx,

          elmerohuevo

          Mathematics education Mathematics and computer science
          Number theory

          Terms of Service.

          http://mail.yahoo.com