Re: A small entertainment

  • jbrennen
    Message 1 of 4 , May 8, 2006
      --- Thomas Hadley wrote:

      > The only solution I could find was when we consider 1 to be a
      > prime (which it not usually how it is defined)...

      You don't need to take 1 to be a prime to find a solution.
      The brother who is 1 year old reaches his 2nd birthday while
      the older two still have ages which are odd primes.

      Also, *both* of your progression patterns yield solutions to the
      relative ages of the brothers.

      This is a cute problem, in that there are two different "solutions"
      to the relative ages of the brothers, but both solutions give the
      same answers to the three questions...

      The first time it happened, the "celebrated one" was celebrating
      his 2nd birthday.

      The second (by age) brother was five years old when the youngest
      was born -- he was 7 years old on the 2nd birthday of the
      youngest one.

      The oldest brother's age at the time of the eleventh occurrence
      is the same regardless of the pattern of their ages.

      Cute problem, and deeper than it appears at first glance.

      Jack