Re: Frequency of primes mod3

  • Robert
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 30 2:10 PM

      > Look up prime number race instead. Indeed it is well known and well
      studied.

      Brill, thanks Chris. I love it when I rediscover the obvious!!

      Robert
    • Bob Gilson
      Message 2 of 4 , May 1, 2006
        Chris Caldwell <caldwell@...> wrote: > It is highly probable that this is a well known fact, but I
        > can't find anything on the web (typing in "frequency of
        > primes mod3" into Google did not produce anything.

        Look up prime number race instead. Indeed it is well known and well studied.

        > Whilst the Chebychev bias is well documented, the Twin Prime Race does not appear to be, and here I would appreciate some guidance.

        The other day I realised that all the twin primes, excluding, but indirectly including 5 and 7, can be turned into 3 tables of twin primes each headed by very basic calculations from the first three prime numbers, 2, 3 and 5. ( I was quite surprised by this, though I've always believed rightly or wrongly that the secrets of the primes must be discernable from the first few )

        The three columns of prime pairs generated under 2, 3 and 5 obviously contains large numbers of non-prime pairs as well, giving biases in one column or another.

        Have these biases also been well studied?

        Kind regards

        Bob

        Mathematics education Mathematics and computer science Number theory