Interesting article at Mathtrek today

    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 1 12:56 AM
      Firstly I missed this one from last month:
      http://blog.sciencenews.org/2006/03/gauss_prime_tables_1.html
      (which contains exactly what it says in the URL).

      But more importantly, today there's this:
      http://www.sciencenews.org/articles/20060401/mathtrek.asp
      <<<
      Euclid's Fourteenth Book

      Ivars Peterson

      When a famous mathematician has something new to say, the whole world pays
      attention.

      Euclid's Elements, which presented the state of the art in geometry around 300
      B.C., has been extraordinarily influential. This massive, 13-volume compendium
      set the standard for mathematical exposition and precise discourse for many
      centuries. More than 2,000 editions have been published, and new, interactive
      versions now appear on the World Wide Web.

      What's more, there is compelling evidence that Euclid of Alexandria (c. 365–275
      B.C.) had a fourteenth book in mind. Officials of the Avril Foundation for Old
      Occidental Languages have announced that, after a year devoted to
      authentication and analysis, they are prepared to release the text of a
      manuscript that appears to be a Latin translation of research notes jotted down
      by Euclid in preparation for writing a fourteenth volume of Elements.

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • Ronny Edler
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 1 1:12 AM
        > But more importantly, today there's this:
        > http://www.sciencenews.org/articles/20060401/mathtrek.asp

        The date of publication appears suspicious to me... :)

        Ronny
      • Bob Gilson
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 1 3:31 AM
          And the graphics by AFOOL and the references to Duncan Dumber, the Banana Slug University, are surely all a dead giveaway.