There are now 2000 known 100000-digit primes

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 20 4:50 AM
      Over the weekend, the number of >100000-digit primes on the top-5000 database
      reached 2000 in number.

      The movement of the 2000-th prime cutoff over time is shown in the graph at the
      bottom of the page:
      http://primes.utm.edu/top20/sizes.php

      With all of the lines having a noticably positive gradient, I feel happy saying
      that this seems to indicate that the prime-hunting is possibly in about as good
      a state as its ever been, with activity in all sectors. Partly responsible for
      this, I believe is the increase in "fixed k" projects over the last couple of
      years (such projects include 15k, RPS, 321 and 12121, RieselSieve, SoB, and
      GIMPS), as, by design, they target a wide range of sizes, and also shift their
      focus to larger sizes naturally as time goes on. In particular, almost all of
      those projects has recently helped in moving that top-50 line.

      Many years back, if I remember correctly, several experienced and well
      respected prime hunters made mildly disparaging remarks about the logic of such
      fixed-k searches, citing reasons of efficiency. However, looking at the lines
      on that graph, I'm now glad that the wild free will to search whatever form one
      wants has prevailed against such advice.

      Keep up the good work, everyone.

      http://mail.yahoo.com