Re: [PrimeNumbers] finding and sharing files

  • Jack Brennen
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 8, 2006
      polydactyldave wrote:
      > At this time I have over 11 gigabytes of small primes and counting.
      >
      > Which causes me to ask two questions.
      >
      > 1. Is there some where that I can download files for a fee or other
      > wise?
      > 2. Is there some way ,without going broke, that I can post the files
      > I have so others do not have to duplicate work that is already done?

      The standard answer that you'll hear all of the time is
      that an optimized sieve can generate small primes faster
      than you can read them from a disk drive.

      So there's really not a lot to be gained by pre-generating huge
      lists of small prime numbers.

      The program 'primegen' can generate small primes very quickly,
      like millions of primes per second. Google for primegen, or
      look here:

      http://cr.yp.to/primegen.html