finding and sharing files

  • polydactyldave
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 8 6:11 PM
      Hello All

      I have been spinning my wheels on a problem that I can not find an
      easy answer. So I thought I would ask before spinning my wheels
      trying to find a complicated answer.

      When I first started exploring primes I thought you could just
      download some files from somewhere and start working. Wrong. Not
      being able to locate files I did what I think most people are doing
      and that is, find or write software to generate files to work with.
      At this time I have over 11 gigabytes of small primes and counting.

      Which causes me to ask two questions.

      1. Is there some where that I can download files for a fee or other
      wise?
      2. Is there some way ,without going broke, that I can post the files
      I have so others do not have to duplicate work that is already done?

      I would welcome what ever suggestions you may have.
      Just to be clear I am talking about general primes no special forms.

      Thanx
      Dave
    • Jack Brennen
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 8 7:41 PM
        polydactyldave wrote:
        > At this time I have over 11 gigabytes of small primes and counting.
        >
        > Which causes me to ask two questions.
        >
        > 1. Is there some where that I can download files for a fee or other
        > wise?
        > 2. Is there some way ,without going broke, that I can post the files
        > I have so others do not have to duplicate work that is already done?

        The standard answer that you'll hear all of the time is
        that an optimized sieve can generate small primes faster
        than you can read them from a disk drive.

        So there's really not a lot to be gained by pre-generating huge
        lists of small prime numbers.

        The program 'primegen' can generate small primes very quickly,
        like millions of primes per second. Google for primegen, or
        look here:

        http://cr.yp.to/primegen.html