RE quadratic sieve algorithm

  • Jose Ramón Brox
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 2, 2006
      From: "Kermit Rose" <kermit@...>

      >>I would like to give a clear description of the quadratic sieve
      >>algorithm to generate primes from a quadratic polynom.

      >>Please take a little time to read the algorithm under
      >>http://www.devalco.de/quadratisches_Siebverfahren_e.htm
      >>and be so nice to give me a feedback, what expressions can be improved.

      >I had wondered what people meant by quadratic sieve method of factoring.
      >I saved the file to study more later.

      If you really want what the actual quadratic sieve factoring method is, I suggest you to
      read:

      http://mathworld.wolfram.com/QuadraticSieve.html
      http://planetmath.org/encyclopedia/QuadraticSieve.html
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quadratic_sieve
      http://www.cs.virginia.edu/crab/QFS_Simple.pdf

      The original paper, due to Carl Pomerance, can be downloaded from the ACM, but you need to
      register or to subscribe (I don't know, I haven't done any of them):
      http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=20194&dl=ACM&coll=portal

      Regards. Jose Brox
    • bhelmes_1
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 3, 2006
        Hello,

        > >>Please take a little time to read the algorithm under
        > >>http://www.devalco.de/quadratisches_Siebverfahren_e.htm
        > >>and be so nice to give me a feedback, what expressions can be
        improved.

        > >I had wondered what people meant by quadratic sieve method of
        factoring.

        Sorry for the confusion, the quadratic sieve algorithm has nothing
        to do with the quadratic sieve factoring method.
        It is an algorithm like the sieve of Eratosthenes to sieve out
        primes and it uses special quadratic polynoms.

        I were very glad to find the algorithm and try now to describe it in
        an comprehensible way in order that other persons can understand it.

        Nice greetings from the primes
        Bernhard