RE Prime Gaps (Was "Prime gaps of 364,188")

  • Jose Ramón Brox
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 31, 2005
      From: "Jens Kruse Andersen" <jens.k.a@...>

      >First known occurrence prime gaps are at
      >http://www.trnicely.net/gaps/gaplist.html
      >For every gap size, it lists the smallest known primes or prp's with exactly
      >that gap.

      Well, then what I was asking for, the smallest primes with biggest merit, is a subset of
      that list:

      2 -->1.44
      3 --> 1.82
      7 --> 2.06
      113 --> 2.96
      1129 --> 3.13
      1327 --> 4.73
      19609 --> 5.26
      31397 --> 6.95
      155921 --> 7.19
      360653 --> 7.50
      370261 --> 8.70
      1257201 --> 9.35
      2010733 --> 10.20
      17051707 --> 10.81
      20831323 --> 12.46
      191912783 --> 13.00
      436273009 --> 14.18
      2300942549 --> 14.84
      4302407359 --> 15.96
      10726904659 --> 16.54
      25056082087 --> 19.04
      304599508537 --> 19.44
      461690510011 --> 19.81
      1346294310749 --> 20.84
      1408695493609 --> 21.02
      1968188556461 --> 21.27
      2614941710599 --> 22.80
      13829048559701 --> 23.66
      19581334192423 --> 25.03
      218209405436543 --> 27.44
      1693182318746371 --> 32.28
      55350776431903243 --> 31.07
      80873624627234849 --> 31.34

      If I sieved well, this is more or less the current state of the real smallest primes with
      biggest merits.
      Is it in the OEIS? (I'll check soon).
      Are there any heuristics to predict the size of the next merit and prime?
      Are there upper bounds that can never be trespassed, for a given size?

      Thank you for all the useful info you sent in your email.

      Jose
    • Jose Ramón Brox
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 31, 2005
        From: "Jens Kruse Andersen" <jens.k.a@...>

        Jose Ramón Brox wrote:

        >> 1693182318746371 --> 32.28
        >> 55350776431903243 --> 31.07
        >> 80873624627234849 --> 31.34

        >The two last merits are below Nyman's lucky 32.28 which was record
        >for 6 years. I haven't checked the rest.

        Yes, that was a residue from the comparations I did to check I had sieved well, the list
        should stop at 32.28.

        In my list I had:

        A typewritting typo (I changed a 3 for a 2).
        Two forgotten merits.
        The two residual last merits.

        I know because it is in the OEIS and I compared it, it is A111870. By the way, I think it
        has an error, so I reported it (4652353 appears before 2010733, and moreover, the merit of
        the second is bigger than the merit of the first, so the first one shouldn't be on the
        list - unless I didn't see it well or Nicely's has an error himself).

        >The Prime Pages has heuristic-based conjectures about large prime gaps:
        >http://primes.utm.edu/notes/gaps.html
        >It doesn't mention merit directly but can be translated to merits.
        >It says that in 1931 Westzynthius proved there are arbitrarily large merits.

        Yes, I know about his theorem, but I can't find a proof in the net (I think it should be
        one in H&W or something like that, but I don't have the book). Could be that you know
        where to find it?

        >Bertrand's postulate (proved by Chebyshev) says there is a prime between
        >n and 2n.
        >This gives a weak upper bound on merits for primes below a given size.

        Of course! If n is prime then L <= n-1, m = L / log (n) <= (n-1) / log(n), and indeed it's
        a week bound because, for example, I think it's proven that we can find two primes between
        n and 2n, one of the form 4n-1 and other of the form 4n+1 - besides there are much better
        boundings for primes.

        Jose
      • Kermit Rose
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 2, 2006
          From: Jose Ramón Brox
          Date: 12/31/05 13:10:50
          To: Prime Numbers
          Subject: [PrimeNumbers] RE Prime Gaps (Was "Prime gaps of 364,188")

          >First known occurrence prime gaps are at
          >http://www.trnicely.net/gaps/gaplist.html
          >For every gap size, it lists the smallest known primes or prp's with
          exactly
          >that gap.

          Well, then what I was asking for, the smallest primes with biggest merit, is
          a subset of
          that list:

          2 -->1.44
          3 --> 1.82
          7 --> 2.06
          113 --> 2.96
          1129 --> 3.13
          1327 --> 4.73
          19609 --> 5.26
          31397 --> 6.95
          155921 --> 7.19

          From Kermit
          kermit@...

          I looked at the first few primes in the list mod 2, 3, 5, 7, 11, 13, 17

          in hopes of seeing a simple pattern. I did not see it.

          Mod2Mod 3Mod 5Mod 7Mod 11Mod 13Mod 17
          2357111317
          20222222
          31033333