Re: My question again

  • gordon_as_number
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 1, 2005
      The paper located at xxx.arXiv.org/physics/0503159 answers
      your question.

      Regards,
      Gordon

      physics/0503159 [abs, ps, pdf, other] :
      Title: Fast Factoring of Integers
      Authors: Gordon Chalmers
      Comments: 8 pages, LaTeX, v1: correction to a_{C_N}\neq 1 and
      improved analysis to general case, v2: added addendum paper to
      original analysis
      Subj-class: General Physics

      --- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com, "Hugo Scolnik \(fiber\)"
      <scolnik@f...> wrote:

      > Dear all:
      >
      > I have posted the question appearing below and there was no single
      answer.

      > Best
      >
      > Hugo Scolnik
      >
      > A programming language is low level when its programs require
      attention to the irrelevant.

      > I am interested in knowing proven results regarding the
      possibility of
      > generating perfect squares with expressions like
      > a + bt
      >
      > 1) it is obvious that not always is possible to get squares. E.g.
      >
      > a = 281941 = 11*19*19*71
      >
      > b = 510510 = 2*3*5*7*11*13*17
      >

      > because a + b*t = 11*(25631 + 46410*t) and therefore if the
      expression
      > between parentheses does not give an odd power of 11..
      >
      > 2) when a +bt generates squares, t can be written as a number of
      quadratic
      > polynomials. How many ? The number depends on
      > the factorization of b ?
      >
      > Hope somebody can provide answers
      >
      > Thank you
      >
      > Hugo Scolnik

    • elevensmooth
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 1, 2005
        > I have posted the question appearing below and there was no single
        answer.

        Dear Hugo,

        Please see message 17083, where I explained why your satement about
        "no squares" was wrong, gave a generic formula for generating an
        infinite number of squares of the form, and pointed you to a web
        reference that could be used to generate several other infinite series
        of squares of the form, and a tutorial section to explain how the
        infinite solutions were generated.