Re: New Cullen Record

  • eharsh82
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 14, 2005
      Mark,
      I think what Jean meant was that multiple people could work on
      different factor values for the same range of numbers. For example how
      PSP does distributed sieving on its numbers.

      Secondly is there a MAC version for multisieve available. I have a G5
      sitting around, may be I can put it to some use.

      Lastly congrats for the prime! (Since the program uses my improvements
      I guess I get part of the credit :))

      Harsh

      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 15, 2005
        --- primenumbers@yahoogroups.com wrote:
        > From: "eharsh82" <harsh@...>
        > I have a G5 sitting around

        This is a crime against primality!

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • mgrogue@wi.rr.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 15, 2005
          > I think what Jean meant was that multiple people could work on
          > different factor values for the same range of numbers. For example
          > how PSP does distributed sieving on its numbers.

          My point is that you won't be able to sieve much deeper by taking a
          larger range and distributing it. Maybe you can sieve 1% or 2%
          deeper, but that doesn't make it worth the effort. The reason is
          that MultiSieve has to use trial division (at least for Cullen/Woodalls).
          PSP sieving gets a huge advantage because it uses a discrete log.

          > Secondly is there a MAC version for multisieve available. I have a
          > G5 sitting around, may be I can put it to some use.

          I've been working on one in my spare time. I used a Mac version to
          sieve the Cullen range in which I found the prime since I could sieve
          much deeper than a P4 could.

          In the meantime, head over to the pies_project and use your Mac to
          find a new 100000 digit prime.

          --Mark