Re: [PrimeNumbers] Interesting Sets of Three Consecutive Primes

  • Jens Kruse Andersen
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 10 2:31 PM
      Bill Sindelar wrote:

      > Jens thank you for your quick response. But you have me stumped. Can I
      > interpret your response as follows?
      > Yes, there exist sets of 3 CONSECUTIVE primes P, Q and R, such that the
      > PRODUCT (2*Q* R) is equal to the SUM of 2 distinct PRIMES S<T, whose
      > DIFFERENCE (T-S) is divisible by the SUM (Q+R) and yields a QUOTIENT
      > WHICH EQUALS P. However, if the 3 consecutive primes are in arithmetical
      > progression, with the sole exception of P=3, Q=5, R=7, then no such sets
      > can exist.

      Yes, that is correctly interpreted. My formulation:
      "There are cases of consecutive primes P, Q, R such that Q*R +/- P*(Q+R)/2 are
      both prime"
      is simply a rewording of your slightly convoluted:
      "There exist ..... which equals P".
      You can check this by setting S, T = Q*R +/- P*(Q+R)/2.

      P, Q, R = 10^100+8556049 + 0, 78, 464 is a solution found in a few minutes
      with PARI/GP.
      Heuristics support infinitely many solutions (reminds of twin prime
      conjecture) but I have no idea how to prove it.

      If P, Q, R, is an AP3 solution other than 3, 5, 7, then your S cannot be prime
      since 3 always divides it when S and T meet the other conditions.

      --
      Jens Kruse Andersen