Re: [PrimeNumbers] Re: New Cullen Record

  • mgrogue@wi.rr.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 29 5:40 AM
      > Congrats, Mark ; the previous record is smashed !!
      > Perhaps you might now be prompted to make a Multisieve version
      > allowing distributed sieving, in order to go further ?
      >
      > Best Regards,
      > Jean

      The gain would be minimal because the sieve doesn't (and can't AFAIK)
      use a discrete log. You double the size of the range and the time to
      sieve will almost double.

      --Mark
    • eharsh82
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 14, 2005
        Mark,
        I think what Jean meant was that multiple people could work on
        different factor values for the same range of numbers. For example how
        PSP does distributed sieving on its numbers.

        Secondly is there a MAC version for multisieve available. I have a G5
        sitting around, may be I can put it to some use.

        Lastly congrats for the prime! (Since the program uses my improvements
        I guess I get part of the credit :))

        Harsh

        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 15, 2005
          --- primenumbers@yahoogroups.com wrote:
          > From: "eharsh82" <harsh@...>
          > I have a G5 sitting around

          This is a crime against primality!

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • mgrogue@wi.rr.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 15, 2005
            > I think what Jean meant was that multiple people could work on
            > different factor values for the same range of numbers. For example
            > how PSP does distributed sieving on its numbers.

            My point is that you won't be able to sieve much deeper by taking a
            larger range and distributing it. Maybe you can sieve 1% or 2%
            deeper, but that doesn't make it worth the effort. The reason is
            that MultiSieve has to use trial division (at least for Cullen/Woodalls).
            PSP sieving gets a huge advantage because it uses a discrete log.

            > Secondly is there a MAC version for multisieve available. I have a
            > G5 sitting around, may be I can put it to some use.

            I've been working on one in my spare time. I used a Mac version to
            sieve the Cullen range in which I found the prime since I could sieve
            much deeper than a P4 could.

            In the meantime, head over to the pies_project and use your Mac to
            find a new 100000 digit prime.

            --Mark