Re: [PrimeNumbers] big numbers library

  • Jan van Oort
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 5, 2005
      Faysal,
      there is of course the .modPow( BigInteger _exponent, BigInteger _modulus )
      method, but that may not help you very much if you want to use a true
      exponentiation without modulus.
      What you want is a public BigInteger .pow( BigInteger _exponent ) method,
      right ?
      You might want to investigate different possibilities:
      1) bit-shifting, either in C/C++ or Java; this goes down quite a bit to the
      basics, but could provide the fastest implementation. Be prepared for blood,
      sweat, tears, and swearing
      2) take Colin Plum's source code, study it closely, and use to implement
      your own method in a shared library ( .so or .dll compiled from C/C++ ).
      Probably closely related to 1)
      3) download the sources of java.math.BigInteger and see if you can learn
      anything from it, i.e. from the non-native ( Java ) part.
      4) look on the internet --- developer's forums etc --- if somebody has
      already had the same idea / need as you, and developed something
      5) contact Colin Plum and ask him directly.
      As for myself, I would start with 3, then 4, investigate upon 2, and then
      decide about 1. In a desperate case, I would consider option 5.
      I am keeping myself available for more help.
      Jan

      --

      Non sunt multiplicanda entia praeter necessitatem

    • Alan Eliasen
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 5, 2005
        Jan van Oort wrote:
        > 2) take Colin Plum's source code, study it closely, and use to implement
        > your own method in a shared library ( .so or .dll compiled from C/C++ ).
        > Probably closely related to 1)
        > 3) download the sources of java.math.BigInteger and see if you can learn
        > anything from it, i.e. from the non-native ( Java ) part.
        > 4) look on the internet --- developer's forums etc --- if somebody has
        > already had the same idea / need as you, and developed something
        > 5) contact Colin Plum and ask him directly.

        I need to clarify that Sun's JVM hasn't used Colin Plumb's library
        since version 1.2. Since then, BigInteger has been implented in pure Java.

        If you use the free Kaffe JVM, it can be compiled to use the GMP
        library for BigInteger. You need to both compile with this and enable
        it at runtime with a command-line switch. Still, there's no API to have
        BigInteger exponents.

        In any case, BigInteger represents its bits as an int[] array. This
        limits the size of the numbers that can be represented to about
        68 billion digits, or possibly less.

        But Sun's algorithms are horrible--they only use the most naive
        O(n^2) algorithm for multiplication, and equally horrible algorithms for
        radix conversion and exponentiation, so your program would be horribly
        time-bound. For example, it takes about 16 hours just to convert one of
        the larger Mersenne numbers, about 2^13000000, (which is *way, way*
        smaller than the 2^2147483647 limit that you're complaining about) to
        decimal on my computer. The exponentiation takes horribly long unless
        you write your own bit-shifting algorithms to fix Sun's inadequacies too.

        In short, if you're going to use numbers that big, you're going to
        have to write your own library. Or try Kaffe. NB: make sure you
        compile Kaffe with the option that intermediate numbers are allocated on
        the heap, not the stack, 'cause your stack isn't gigabytes in size.

        --
        Alan Eliasen | "It is not enough to do your best;
        eliasen@... | you must know what to do and THEN
        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 5, 2005
          Alan,
          you are quite right. Anyway, if I were in Faysal's case, it probably would
          boil down - and that rather quickly - to option 1, with an eye on option 2.
          The next time I am in between two project, I am going to write a
          BigInteger.pow( BigInteger _exponent ) method. Just for fun. On a rainy day.
          :-D
          Jan
          PS I was not complaining about any limits. Faysal was.

          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 7, 2005
            fyatim wrote:
            > I wrote a small method using a well known algorithm “Exponentiation by
            > Squaring”, but it still take horrible execution time.

            That's because Sun's Java implementation still uses horrible O(n^2)
            algorithms for multiplication. Their exponentiation routine already
            does exponentiation by squaring, so you probably can't improve on it
            without fixing multiplication.

            > Where can I find the algorithm you are mentioning i.e. “bit shifting” ??

            "Bit shifting" works when your base contains powers of 2. This is
            because you can do powers of 2 by simply left-shifting the binary
            representation by the appropriate number of bits. If you're doing
            something like calculating large Mersenne numbers, this makes it about a
            thousand times faster or more than Sun's implementation. It's an easy
            and obvious optimization that Sun missed.

            In short, here's a code snippet that does it. The base is expected
            to be in a BigInteger called "big", and the exponent in an int called
            "exponent". It factors out powers of two quickly by the call to
            getLowestSetBit(), and does the exponentiation for powers of two rapidly
            with shiftLeft() and then multiplies it by the remaining part that isn't
            a power of 2.

            This only helps if your base contains powers of 2.

            if (big.signum() > 0)
            {
            // Get factor of two
            int bit = big.getLowestSetBit();

            if (bit > 0)
            {
            big = big.shiftRight(bit);
            BigInteger twoPower = FrinkBigInteger.ONE.shiftLeft(bit*exponent);
            if (big.equals(FrinkBigInteger.ONE))
            return FrinkInteger.construct(twoPower);
            else
            {
            big = big.pow(exponent);
            return FrinkInteger.construct(big.multiply(twoPower));
            }
            }
            }

            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 7, 2005
              If it wasn't clear (and it wasn't,) the algorithm I just posted was
              one to speed up exponentiation. I use it as a wrapper around
              BigInteger.pow(BigInteger big, int exponent) in Java.

              --
              Alan Eliasen | "It is not enough to do your best;
              eliasen@... | you must know what to do and THEN
              http://futureboy.homeip.net/ | do your best." -- W. Edwards Deming
            • fyatim

                you are quite right. Anyway, if I were in Faysal's case, it probably would
                boil down - and that rather quickly - to option 1, with an eye on option 2.
                The next time I am in between two project, I am going to write a
                BigInteger.pow( BigInteger _exponent ) method. Just for fun. On a rainy day.

                :-D
                Jan
                PS I was not complaining about any limits. Faysal was.

                On 8/5/05, Alan Eliasen <eliasen@...> wrote:

                > Jan van Oort wrote:
                > > 2) take Colin Plum's source code, study it closely, and use to implement
                > > your own method in a shared library ( .so or .dll compiled from C/C++ ).
                > > Probably closely related to 1)
                > > 3) download the sources of java.math.BigInteger and see if you can learn
                > > anything from it, i.e. from the non-native ( Java ) part.
                > > 4) look on the internet --- developer's forums etc --- if somebody has
                > > already had the same idea / need as you, and developed something
                > > 5) contact Colin Plum and ask him directly.
                >
                > I need to clarify that Sun's JVM hasn't used Colin Plumb's library
                > since version 1.2. Since then, BigInteger has been implented in pure Java.
                >
                > If you use the free Kaffe JVM, it can be compiled to use the GMP
                > library for BigInteger. You need to both compile with this and enable
                > it at runtime with a command-line switch. Still, there's no API to have
                > BigInteger exponents.
                >
                > In any case, BigInteger represents its bits as an int[] array. This
                > limits the size of the numbers that can be represented to about
                > 68 billion digits, or possibly less.
                >
                > But Sun's algorithms are horrible--they only use the most naive
                > O(n^2) algorithm for multiplication, and equally horrible algorithms for
                > radix conversion and exponentiation, so your program would be horribly
                > time-bound. For example, it takes about 16 hours just to convert one of
                > the larger Mersenne numbers, about 2^13000000, (which is *way, way*
                > smaller than the 2^2147483647 limit that you're complaining about) to
                > decimal on my computer. The exponentiation takes horribly long unless
                > you write your own bit-shifting algorithms to fix Sun's inadequacies too.
                >
                > In short, if you're going to use numbers that big, you're going to
                > have to write your own library. Or try Kaffe. NB: make sure you
                > compile Kaffe with the option that intermediate numbers are allocated on
                > the heap, not the stack, 'cause your stack isn't gigabytes in size.
                >
                > --
                > Alan Eliasen | "It is not enough to do your best;
                > eliasen@... | you must know what to do and THEN
                > http://futureboy.homeip.net/ | do your best." -- W. Edwards Deming

                --

                Non sunt multiplicanda entia praeter necessitatem

                Mathematics
                <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Mathematics+and+computer+science&w1=Mat
                hematics+and+computer+science&w2=Music+theory&w3=Theory+of&c=3&s=71&.sig=SOh
                q77_rF4rHyNjUSRWLFg> and computer science

                Music
                <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Music+theory&w1=Mathematics+and+compute
                r+science&w2=Music+theory&w3=Theory+of&c=3&s=71&.sig=6RLtLyQQ5iFfnkmGdOkbBA>
                theory

                Theory
                <http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?t=ms&k=Theory+of&w1=Mathematics+and+computer+s
                cience&w2=Music+theory&w3=Theory+of&c=3&s=71&.sig=O8mFVRYrr9LhUeQJhzbgFg>
                of

                _____

                YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                * Visit your group "primenumbers
                <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/primenumbers> " on the web.

                _____

              • fyatim
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 21, 2005
                  Alan,
                  Yes is clear .. Thanks.
                  But, my problem still the same when the exponent is a prime > 2...
                  I'm trying to find out the best (fastest) way to calculate it ...
                  I welcome any new ideas...
                  Regards
                  Faysal

                  > I wrote a small method using a well known algorithm "Exponentiation by
                  > Squaring", but it still take horrible execution time.

                  That's because Sun's Java implementation still uses horrible O(n^2)
                  algorithms for multiplication. Their exponentiation routine already
                  does exponentiation by squaring, so you probably can't improve on it
                  without fixing multiplication.

                  > Where can I find the algorithm you are mentioning i.e. "bit shifting" ??

                  "Bit shifting" works when your base contains powers of 2. This is
                  because you can do powers of 2 by simply left-shifting the binary
                  representation by the appropriate number of bits. If you're doing
                  something like calculating large Mersenne numbers, this makes it about a
                  thousand times faster or more than Sun's implementation. It's an easy
                  and obvious optimization that Sun missed.

                  In short, here's a code snippet that does it. The base is expected
                  to be in a BigInteger called "big", and the exponent in an int called
                  "exponent". It factors out powers of two quickly by the call to
                  getLowestSetBit(), and does the exponentiation for powers of two rapidly
                  with shiftLeft() and then multiplies it by the remaining part that isn't
                  a power of 2.

                  This only helps if your base contains powers of 2.

                  if (big.signum() > 0)
                  {
                  // Get factor of two
                  int bit = big.getLowestSetBit();

                  if (bit > 0)
                  {
                  big = big.shiftRight(bit);
                  BigInteger twoPower = FrinkBigInteger.ONE.shiftLeft(bit*exponent);
                  if (big.equals(FrinkBigInteger.ONE))
                  return FrinkInteger.construct(twoPower);
                  else
                  {
                  big = big.pow(exponent);
                  return FrinkInteger.construct(big.multiply(twoPower));
                  }
                  }
                  }

                  --
                  Alan Eliasen | "It is not enough to do your best;
                  eliasen@... | you must know what to do and THEN
                  http://futureboy.homeip.net/ | do your best." -- W. Edwards Deming

                  Yahoo! Groups Links