What are the chances?

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 27, 2005
      30077 · 2^10000000-1

      I've got a NewPGen running on my P4 laptop 'sieving' this single candidate.

      I would be quite surprised if a college of only 1175 students that sells
      itself as giving its students a liberal arts education would have enough
      CPU reources to back a hunt for 3Mdigit primes.

      However, even one-in-a-thousand long shots do pay off, one time in a
      thousand, and this is better than 1/1000 probablity:

      P(k.2^10000000-1 is prime, for odd k<=30077) ~= 30077/10000000/ln(2) = 1/250

      Sieved to 35G, and progressing...

      http://mail.yahoo.com