RE: we are now 1087...

  • Douglas Chester
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 13, 2005
      Can't think of anything off the top of my head, and David
      Wells's "Curious and Interesting Numbers" does not have an entry.
      According to Chris Caldwell's Prime Curios

      1087 is a prime factor of the 32nd Lucas number (the first such
      number with index of form 2^n that is composite).
      The largest known number such that (10000^n+1)/10001 is probably
      prime.

      Perhaps we should try and find another half a dozen new members, then
      we are 1093. Wells's entry for 1093 is a bit more interesting:

      "2^1092 - 1 is divisible by 1093. Only one other number is known
      below 4 * 10^12 with this property, 3511.
      In 1909 Wieferich created a sensation by proving that if Fermat's
      equation, x^p + y^p = z^p, has a solution in whih p is an odd prime
      that does notr divide any of x, y or z, then 2^(p-1) - 1 is divisible
      by p^2. As facts about Fermat's last theorem go, this is remarkably
      simple. That 1093 and 3511 are the only solutions below 4 * 10^12
      means that only these two cases of Fermat's theorem need to be
      considered, below that limit, of p does not divide xyz."

      Douglas Chester