Finding primes with a PowerPC

  • Mark Rodenkirch
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 11, 2005
      For those of you with access a PowerPC, I want to direct you to Phil
      Carmody's PIES project (the pies_project group in Yahoo).

      Over the weekend, I found this 100070 digit prime:
      Phi(3,-1642659500503^4096)

      On my 2.5 GHz G5, the PRP test took only 4 minutes. According to
      Phil, a 2.0 GHz P4 does this same test in about 10 minutes which means
      that the PowerPC is very competitive with x86 for numbers of this
      form. AFAIK, it is the only prime on Chris Caldwell's list that has
      been found with a PowerPC CPU.

      --Mark