Re: [PrimeNumbers] Re: FPGA Implementation of Elliptic Curve method of integer factorization

  • James Wanless
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 14, 2005
      Ron wrote:

      >--- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com, James Wanless <james@g...> wrote:
      >

      >>... it's in java - so can you see "we2.java" for example?
      >>

      >Yes, I found the Java source code. Unfortunately I never had much use
      >for so called "object oriented" languages and so never learned Java,
      >but from what I can make of it, most of the code seems to be parsing
      >out ASCII strings containing numeric expressions of some sort(?)

      You can safely ignore the string parsing - that's not part of the actual
      factoring algorithm - it just serves to allow input of formulae as well
      as/instead of pure strings of denary digits

      >Would you happen to have just a brief explanation of your idea in
      >plain English with perhaps some equations or pseudo-code to
      >illustrate the basic principle, rather than my having to sift through
      >your Java code looking for the important stuff?

      All it does, in essence (in about a dozen lines of java, once you've
      identified the main subroutine) is look at; the gcd of (incrementally
      increased) index, a, to the power of the input number, n; with n - ie
      like a Fermat pseudoprime test, except that if the result is non-trivial
      [ie not 1 or n] it's a factor. That, at least, is the original algorithm
      (I told you it was simple). There's an extra improvement in speed if you
      use Wanless' Theorem/Fermat's Big Theorem [ie as opposed simply Fermat's
      Little Theorem] and its extra level of exponentiation.

      >I realize that programmers hate to write documentation (I always
      >did!), but you should at least have some comments in the main page of
      >the source code itself, summarizing the program's purpose and basic
      >overall operation. If not, this might be a good time to write such a
      >summary.

      I don't so much count myself a programmer, as a mathematician... :-)