RE: [PrimeNumbers] Re: An obfuscated PARI/GP implementation of NFS

  • Paul Jobling
    Message 1 of 9 , May 4, 2005
      Décio,

      Removing the brackets around the statement "z(i)=primepi(i);" gets rid of
      the error. However, what is the routine supposed to return? It seems to
      return 0 in all cases as far as I can tell...

      Regards,

      Paul.

    • Décio Luiz Gazzoni Filho
      Message 2 of 9 , May 4, 2005
        On Wednesday 04 May 2005 06:15, Paul Jobling wrote:
        > Décio,
        >
        > Removing the brackets around the statement "z(i)=primepi(i);" gets rid of
        > the error. However, what is the routine supposed to return? It seems to
        > return 0 in all cases as far as I can tell...

        That's weird, because I've been running the same file here. I recall GP
        complained when I _didn't_ have parentheses around function definitions; I
        believe when parentheses are stripped, GP just assumes that the function
        definition goes on, which isn't what I meant. Actually you can simply get rid
        of this line, search for all instances of the z() function call and replace
        it by primepi() -- it was just a space-saving and obfuscation measure.

        By the way, what version are you running? Mine is 2.2.9, and I successfully
        ran it on a Windows box running 2.2.10 yesterday. And could you please test
        it with 2^32+1, a number for which the routine is working for me? Note that
        you'll need to allocatemem() some extra memory because of the linear algebra
        solver; 16 MB seems to work fine here, but the default 4 MB does not.

        Décio

      • Paul Jobling
        Message 3 of 9 , May 4, 2005
          > By the way, what version are you running? Mine is 2.2.9

          Ah, I was running on 2.2.8. I have just downloaded 2.2.10 and tried it with
          that, and get much more sensible behaviour with the original script.

          Regards,

          Paul.