[PrimeNumbers] Re: Primes between squares

  • Jens Kruse Andersen
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 28, 2005
      thomas_ruley wrote:

      > OK, so it hasn't been proven yet. What about computer testing? I
      > recently wrote a program to test this theorem, and was wondering how
      > high I should start testing.

      You would have to start above 2*10^17 but I suggest you forget about it.
      All large prime gaps between smaller primes have been computed:
      http://www.ieeta.pt/~tos/gaps.html

      Also see First occurrence prime gaps:
      http://www.trnicely.net/gaps/gaplist.html#MainTable

      The largest gap below 2*10^17 is only 1220.
      Computing a counter example to primes between squares seems highly unlikely
      to me.

      --
      Jens Kruse Andersen