Re: Dat Dastardly 788 : (Now a stronger GC)

  • Mark Underwood
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 6, 2005
      Based on your great idea John, we'll tighten Goldbach's conjecture
      and say that any even number > 4 is the sum of two primes, one a
      prime twin and the other a prime twin or cousin.

      A lot of primes are now becoming unecessary around here. Is that a
      good thing on a list like this? :)

      Below are the even numbers up to 10,000 that had less than 3
      solutions. Format: (Even number, number of solutions)

      (6,1) (8,1) (10,2) (12,1) (14,2) (16,2) (18,2) (20,2) (28,2) (32,2)
      (38,2) (56,2) (68,2) (94,2) (136,2) (164,2) (556,2) (1354,2)

      Mark

      --- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com, "John W. Nicholson"
      <reddwarf2956@y...> wrote:

      > Mark,
      >
      > What if you did this:
      >
      > 788 = 61 + 727
      > {61,727}
      > twin p,p+2 {59,61}
      > cousin p,p+4 {none}
      > sexy p,p+6 {61,67},{727,733}
      >
      > See now you can state it as one twin and 2 pair of sexy primes.
      >
      > And with this, one can conjecture: There is at least at least one
      > Goldbach partition pair for an even number and of which one twin,
      > cousin, OR sexy prime related to each prime of this pair.
      >
      > Has anyone conjecture this before?
      >
      > John
      >

      > --- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Underwood"
      > <mark.underwood@s...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi all
      > >
      > > Was just revisiting some of my old Goldbachian observations. I've
      > > added a new one at the end, from which derives the title of this
      > > post.
      > >
      > > The Old Odd Goldbach conjecture is that every odd number nine and
      > > greater can be written as the sum of three odd primes. But the
      > > surprising thing is that this appears to be satified if each of
      > the
      > > three primes is a member of twin prime pair! Even more surprising
      > is
      > > that it appears to be satified if each of the three primes is a
      > > member of a prime triplet!
      > >
      > > The New Goldbach conjecture is that every even number greater
      than
      > > four can be written as the sum of two odd primes. If these two
      odd
      > > primes are taken only from prime twins, if fails 15 times before
      > > 1,000. If each of the primes are pulled only from prime triples,
      > it
      > > fails 22 times before 500.
      > >

      > > New Observation: If each of the two odd primes is taken from a
      > prime
      > > twin OR a prime triplet, the conjecture holds! EXCEPT for ONE
      > number -
      > > 788. 788 ( = 4*197) appears to be the only even number > 4
      which
      > > can't be written as the sum of two primes pulled from twins or
      > > triplets. (I've checked up to 50,000.)
      > >
      > > Mark
    • antonioveloz2
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 6, 2005
        I remember reading about a similar problem a while ago and I came
        across this paper by Patson

        MR1812793 (2001m:11010)
        Patson, Noel(5-CQLI)
        Interesting property observed in the prime numbers.
        Austral. Math. Soc. Gaz. 27 (2000), no. 5, 232--236.
        11A41 (11P32)

        Abstract:
        Using computer power the author investigates the properties of prime
        numbers. The most interesting one is related to the Goldbach
        conjecture. Given a set S of positive integers a certain even number
        greater than 2 is a Goldbach number with respect to S if it is the
        sum of two numbers from S. Let S be the set of twin primes. The
        author finds that, except for thirty-four numbers, all even numbers
        less than 360,994 are Goldbach numbers with respect to S. The first
        exception is 4 and the other 33 numbers are all in clusters of three
        numbers and a distance of two apart, for example, 94,96,98 or
        400,402,404 and so forth.

        Antonio Veloz

        <mark.underwood@s...> wrote:

> [...]
        > > > member of a prime triplet!
        > > >
        > > > The New Goldbach conjecture is that every even number greater
        > than
        > > > four can be written as the sum of two odd primes. If these two
        > odd
        > > > primes are taken only from prime twins, if fails 15 times
        before
        > > > 1,000. If each of the primes are pulled only from prime
        triples,
        > > it
        > > > fails 22 times before 500.
        > > >

        > > > New Observation: If each of the two odd primes is taken from a
        > > prime
        > > > twin OR a prime triplet, the conjecture holds! EXCEPT for ONE
        > > number -
        > > > 788. 788 ( = 4*197) appears to be the only even number > 4
        > which
        > > > can't be written as the sum of two primes pulled from twins or

      • Mark Underwood
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 6, 2005
          Thank you Antonia. Those clusters of three, that rings a bell. When I
          first posted here about this type of thing, (a year ago?) I too noted
          the cluster of three phenomenon.

          I think this conjecture should be top priority. After all, if one can
          prove that every even number > 4 is the sum of two primes, one a twin
          and the other a twin or a cousin, then one has essentially proven the
          twin prime conjecture. :o

          Mark

          PS Speaking of partitioning, some of you guys may find this news
          article from http://www.news.wisc.edu/10833.html an interesting
          read.

          *

          RESEARCH

          Mathematician untangles legendary problem

          Paroma Basu

          Karl Mahlburg, a young mathematician, has solved a crucial chunk of a
          puzzle that has haunted number theorists since the math legend
          Srinivasa Ramanujan scribbled his revolutionary notions into a
          tattered notebook.

          "In a nutshell, this [work] is the final chapter in one of the most
          famous subjects in the story of Ramanujan," says Ken Ono, Mahlburg's
          graduate advisor and an expert on Ramanujan's work. Ono is a Manasse
          Professor of Letters and Science in mathematics.

          "Mahlburg's achievement is a striking one, " agrees George Andrews, a
          mathematics professor at Penn State University who has also worked
          deeply with Ramanujan's ideas.

          The father of modern number theory, Ramanujan died prematurely in
          1920 at the age of 32. The Indian mathematician's work is vast but he
          is particularly famous for noticing curious patterns in the way whole
          numbers can be broken down into sums of smaller numbers,
          or "partitions." The number 4, for example, has five partitions
          because it can be expressed in five ways, including 4, 3+1, 2+2,
          1+1+2, and 1+1+1+1.

          Ramanujan, who had little formal training in mathematics, made
          partition lists for the first 200 integers and observed a peculiar
          regularity. For any number that ends in 4 or 9, he found, the number
          of partitions is always divisible by 5. Similarly, starting at 5, the
          number of partitions for every seventh integer is a multiple of 7,
          and, starting with 6, the partitions for every 11th integer are a
          multiple of 11.

          The finding was an intriguing one, says Richard Askey a emeritus
          mathematics professor who also works with aspects of Ramanujan's
          work. "There was no reason at all that multiplicative behaviors
          should have anything to do with additive structures involved in
          partitions."

          The strange numerical relationships Ramanujan discovered, now called
          the three Ramanujan "congruences," mystified scores of number
          theorists. During the Second World War, one mathematician and
          physicist named Freeman Dyson began to search for more elementary
          ways to prove Ramanujan's congruences. He developed a tool, called
          a "rank," that allowed him to split partitions of whole numbers into
          numerical groups of equal sizes. The idea worked with 5 and 7 but did
          not extend to 11. Dyson postulated that there must be a mathematical
          tool--what he jokingly called a "crank"--that could apply to all
          three congruences.
          Four decades later, Andrews and fellow mathematician Frank Garvan
          discovered the elusive crank function and for the moment, at least,
          the congruence chapter seemed complete.

          But in a chance turn of events in the late nineties, Ono came upon
          one of Ramanujan's original notebooks. Looking through the illegible
          scrawl, he noticed an obscure numerical formula that seemed to have
          no connection to partitions, but was strangely associated with
          unrelated work Ono was doing at the time.

          "I was floored," recalls Ono.

          Following the lead, Ono quickly made the startling discovery that
          partition congruences not only exist for the prime number 5, 7 and
          11, but can be found for all larger primes. To prove this, Ono found
          a connection between partition numbers and special mathematical
          relationships called modular forms.

          But now that Ono had unveiled infinite numbers of partition
          congruences, the obvious question was whether the crank universally
          applied to all of them. In what Ono calls "a fantastically clever
          argument," Mahlburg has shown that it does.

          A UW-Madison doctoral student, Mahlburg says he spent a year
          manipulating "ugly, horribly complicated" numerical formulae, or
          functions, that emerged when he applied the crank tool to various
          prime numbers. "Though I was working with a large collection of
          functions, under the surface I slowly began to see a uniformity
          between them," says Mahlburg.

          Building on Ono's work with modular forms, Mahlburg found that
          instead of dividing numbers into equal groups, such as putting the
          number 115 into five equal groups of 23 (which are not multiples of
          5), the partition congruence idea still holds if numbers are broken
          down differently. In other words, 115 could also break down as 25,
          25, 25, 10 and 30. Since each part is a multiple of 5, it follows
          that the sum of the parts is also a multiple of 5. Mahlburg shows the
          idea extends to every prime number.

          "This is an incredible result," says Askey.

          Mahlburg's work completes the hunt for the crank function, says Penn
          State's Andrews, but is only a "tidy beginning" to the quest for
          simpler proofs of Ramanujan's findings. "Mahlburg has shown the great
          depth of one particular well that Ramanujan drew interesting things
          out of," Andrews adds, "but there are still plenty of wells we don't
          understand."

          --- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com, "antonioveloz2"
          <antonioveloz2@y...> wrote:

> [...]
          > >
          > > (6,1) (8,1) (10,2) (12,1) (14,2) (16,2) (18,2) (20,2) (28,2)
          (32,2)
          > > (38,2) (56,2) (68,2) (94,2) (136,2) (164,2) (556,2) (1354,2)
          > >
          > > Mark
          > >

          > > --- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com, "John W. Nicholson"
          > > <reddwarf2956@y...> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Mark,
          > > >
          > > > What if you did this:
          > > >
          > > > 788 = 61 + 727
          > > > {61,727}
          > > > twin p,p+2 {59,61}
          > > > cousin p,p+4 {none}
          > > > sexy p,p+6 {61,67},{727,733}
          > > >
          > > > See now you can state it as one twin and 2 pair of sexy primes.
          > > >
          > > > And with this, one can conjecture: There is at least at least
          one
          > > > Goldbach partition pair for an even number and of which one
          twin,
          > > > cousin, OR sexy prime related to each prime of this pair.

        • Harvey Dubner
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 6, 2005
            I had a paper published in Journal of Recreational Mathematics, Vol.30(3),
            1999-2000, entitled
            "Twin Prime Conjectures" which included the conjecture,

            Every even number greater than 4208 is the sum of two t-primes where a
            t-prime is a prime which has a twin.

            This was verified up to 4.10^11 and included strong evidence that the
            conjecture would hold for larger numbers. The paper also includes
            interestng comparative Goldbach data.

            I will be happy to send a pdf copy of the paper to anyone who asks.

            Harvey Dubner

            PS: No, the paper does not include a proof of the above conjecture or GC.
            PPS: No, I am not working on such a proof.

            > I remember reading about a similar problem a while ago and I came
            > across this paper by Patson
            >
            > MR1812793 (2001m:11010)
            > Patson, Noel(5-CQLI)
            > Interesting property observed in the prime numbers.
            > Austral. Math. Soc. Gaz. 27 (2000), no. 5, 232--236.
            > 11A41 (11P32)
            >
            > Abstract:
            > Using computer power the author investigates the properties of prime
            > numbers. The most interesting one is related to the Goldbach
            > conjecture. Given a set S of positive integers a certain even number
            > greater than 2 is a Goldbach number with respect to S if it is the
            > sum of two numbers from S. Let S be the set of twin primes. The
            > author finds that, except for thirty-four numbers, all even numbers
            > less than 360,994 are Goldbach numbers with respect to S. The first
            > exception is 4 and the other 33 numbers are all in clusters of three
            > numbers and a distance of two apart, for example, 94,96,98 or
            > 400,402,404 and so forth.
            >

            > Antonio Veloz

          • John W. Nicholson
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 14, 2005
              I have been looking at this paper of Harvey's. I think I have
              discovered a few things which are very interesting. First let me
              list the numbers which he found not to be middle numbers < 2*10^10:

              N = 96, 402, 516, 786, 906, 1116, 1146, 1266, 1356, 3246, and 4206.

              Harvey stated to me the correction of 4208 should be 4206.

              Note that all except the second one, 402, is == 1 (mod 5). Also as
              would be expected all are divisible by 6, but they are a complete
              residue set with (mod 4) == (mod 24) (I might be stating this wrong,
              so let me restate this when divided by 24 the remainder is one of
              0,1,2, or 3.) There is only one of these with == 0 (mod 24), namely
              96. There is also a interesting thing with (mod 11) and N/6 == (mod
              11) most have a factor of 2 except the first three. I did look at
              (mod 7). There are no == 1,4 (mod 7). I wonder how this fits with
              http://primepuzzles.net/problems/prob_003.htm ?

              N, (mod 11), N/6 == (mod 11), (mod 7)
              96, 8, 5, 5
              402, 6, 1, 3
              516, 10, 9, 5
              786, 5, 10, 2
              906, 4, 8, 3
              1116, 5, 10, 3
              1146, 2, 4, 5
              1266, 1, 2, 6
              1356, 3, 6, 5
              3246, 1, 2, 5
              4206, 4, 8, 6

              Add to these statement a look a MR1745569,
              http://primes.utm.edu/references/refs.cgi?author=Suzuki
              I have a scaned it if anyone wants a copy.

              Because of the above, 4*n+/-1 and 6*m+/-1 are the only ways to state
              all primes factors with only two Dirichlet equations, and because
              4206 < 6!*6, I don't think there are any more possible. All other
              numbers > 6!*6 have some way of having numbers > 36 = 6^2 in the P2
              = p1*p2 product (prime factors are of 6*n +/- 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5, n
              < 6) + prime as to Chen's theorem (all even = P2 + p3).

              I do see how this can be used as part of the proof of the t-prime-GC
              if anyone is up to it.

              Can anything more be said?

              John

              --- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com, Harvey Dubner <harvey@d...>

              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 14, 2005
                One more thing, the gap are added or subtracted from the number
                below until there are to primes at the ends.

                89 (-7) ((96)) (+1) 97 (+4) 101 (+2) 103
                103-89 = 14
                96 +/- 7

                383 (-6) 389 (-8) 397 (-4) 401 (-1) ((402)) (+7) 409 (+10) 419 (+2)
                421
                421 - 383 = 38
                402 +/- 19

                509 (-7) ((516)) (+5) 521 (+2) 523
                523 - 507 = 14
                516 +/- 7

                761 (-8) 769 (-4) 773 (-13) ((786)) (+1) 787 (+10) 797 (+12) 809
                (+2) 811
                811- 761 = 50
                786 +/- 25

                883 (-4) 887 (-19) ((906)) (+1) 907 (+4) 911 (+8) 919 (+10) 929
                929 - 883 = 46
                906 +/- 23

                1109 (-7) ((1116)) (+1) 1117 (+6) 1123
                1123 – 1109 = 14
                1116 +/- 7

                1129 (-17) ((1146)) (+5) 1151 (+2) 1153 (+10) 1163
                1163 – 1129 = 34
                1146 +/- 17

                1249 (-10)1259 (-7) ((1266)) (+11) 1277 (+2) 1279 (+4) 1283
                1283 -1249 = 34
                1266 +/- 17

                1303 (-4)1307 (-12) 1319 (-2) 1321 (-6) 1327 (-29) ((1356)) (+5)
                1361 (+6) 1367 (+6) 1373 (+8) 1381 (+18) 1399 (+10) 1409
                1406 – 1303 = 106
                1356 +/- 53

                3221 (-8) 3229 (-17) ((3246)) (+5) 3251 (+2) 3253 (+4) 3257 (+2)
                3259 (+12) 3271
                3271 – 3221 = 50
                3246 +/- 25

                4201 (-5) ((4206)) (+5) 4211