RE A math question

  • Jose Ramón Brox
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 31, 2005
      I think you are using Fermat's Factorization Method.

      n = a*b

      n = (d+s)(d-s) = d^2 - s^2

      a = d+s
      b= d-s

      d= (a+b)/2
      s= (a-b)/2

      This method is invalid for numbers n =2*k, where GCD(2,k)=1.

      You search for d and s with some algorithm (i have one since several years
      for do it, but it is way slower than today's factoring algorithms). If d and
      s are near, your algorithm could find the factorization of n faster (indeed,
      that happens in mine, and I multiplied by some numbers to get d and s nearer
      too).

      Given d and s, a and b are trivially calculated.

      Am I correct? :-)

      Jose Brox.