Re: [PrimeNumbers] About the form of a solution to GC

  • Bob Gilson
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 5, 2005
      Chris Caldwell <caldwell@...> wrote:
      On Sat, 5 Mar 2005, Bob Gilson wrote:
      > If a solution to GC was not couched in formal mathematics but was
      > let's say based on observation and a little arithmetic, easy to
      > understand and short; would that be acceptable for peer review as a
      > solution and ultimately publication.
      > I am also aware that any post which assumes a solution will be
      > considered with some disdain and condescension by many.

      The disdain, at least on my part, is not for assuming a solution,
      but for the foolish games those who think they have one often play.
      I get tired of "I got the solution, where do I collect money",
      "I have a solution, but it is secret", and of course the
      insulting "I have a solution and it is simple" which implies
      thousands of mathematicians over hundreds of years have missed
      the simple. Insulting and unlikely.

      To avoid some disdain do this: take the time and effort to read what
      others have done so you can put your "proof" in context and in
      the language of your audience. Then attempt to publish in a
      reputible manner.

      If too lazy to do that, then try this: write it up as neatly
      as you can and post it publically with a note "I think this is a
      proof of _______, do you see any problems with it?" Of course
      if it is too outlandishly written "using the z-spectral
      reasoning only I understand we get..." or "adding my zero-point
      axioms we can prove all unproven theorem" you will get disdain.

      Finally, always listen more than you speak. If most of the posts
      on a list on any one subject are from you; it is time to stop talking
      about it.

      Chris.

      Most nuts are incapable of taking correction--if no one can give you a
      reasonable correction, then up you nut index by three. If you
      alone have a right answer an the whole world misses the simple truth,
      up your nut inex by 8 (10 is the max). For each incorrect
      proof that you retracted appropriately--subtract one from the nut

      Hey Chris

      I was merely replying to what chrisdarroch wrote, and commented "Publish and be damned"

      So please do not attribute to me that which I did not say.

      Many thanks

      Bob Gilson

    • Bob Gilson
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 5, 2005
        richard042@... wrote:

        Hello,

        Chris speaks wisdom, take it from a former 8. Anyone can claim
        proof. Someone who actually has proof does not need to make any
        claims whatsoever, they simply have to ask others what is wrong with
        it and they will take up the challenge of finding out. If it's truly
        that short and clearly written, it will be digestible and
        understandable to many members of this list. The list has an archive
        and world-wide membership as witness. You may be a nut and you
        simply don't know it yet. You can cure yourself of the condition by
        learning as much as you can about your subject matter and about the
        realities of the academic mathematical world into which you seek
        acceptance. Make no claims, ask questions. Any proof, or any
        mathematical idea for that matter, is worthless if it is unknown. If
        it's incorrect, it's worthless. If you don't put it out there for
        scrutiny, it's worthless whether it's correct or not. And
        ultimately, it's not your call on whether it is valid proof or not,
        it must pass the scrutiny of everyone else in the world, and you have
        to start somewhere. Consider how long it will take you in isolation
        to learn enough about math and logic to be able to critically attack
        your own paper. Just a little effort along these lines sometimes
        goes a long way toward prevention of self-embarrassment and
        spontaneous nut index inflation.

        But your safeguard is the presentation, make no claims, ask
        questions, thank those who take the time to help you and learn from
        them how to save them time on future endeavors. I guarantee it's
        100% O.K., even admirable, to be wrong - UNLESS, you're wrong about
        being right. So simply do not go there. If no one from this group
        can find anything wrong with a posted proof, it will be a rarity
        indeed, an event to remember in and of itself.

        If you are a mathematician trapped in a nut body, you must and will
        educate yourself as the means to escape, otherwise you'll remain a
        nut. How do you educate yourself? - Well start asking questions
        about what you see in numbers. Until you start asking questions and
        seeking out answers, you shall remain trapped, and there ye' shall be.

        -Dick Boland

        > Most nuts are incapable of taking correction--if no one can give
        you a
        > reasonable correction, then up you nut index by three. If you
        > alone have a right answer an the whole world misses the simple
        truth,
        > up your nut inex by 8 (10 is the max). For each incorrect
        > proof that you retracted appropriately--subtract one from the nut

        Dear Richard

        Perhaps you can persuade chrisdarroch to publish his "proof" so that Decio can have a field day. On the other hand...

        Bob Gilson

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      • Jacques Tramu
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 5, 2005
          I'm humbly listening to the all the propos in this list for 6 months,
          and I am proud to announce that I never solved the GC, even in my dreams.

          Best regards to all
          Jacques Tramu

        • mikeoakes2@aol.com
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 5, 2005
            jacques.tramu@... writes:

            I'm humbly listening to the all the propos in this list for 6 months,
            and I am proud to announce that I never solved the GC, even in my dreams.

            Best regards to all
            Jacques Tramu

            Ah, ... but the flip side of that is that if you never dream it then you
            assuredly won't ever do it.

            -Mike Oakes [who has spent more than 1 sleepless night recently dreaming of
            proving the ERH]

          • Décio Luiz Gazzoni Filho
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 5, 2005
              On Saturday 05 March 2005 17:36, you wrote:
              > Ah, ... but the flip side of that is that if you never dream it then you
              > assuredly won't ever do it.
              >
              > -Mike Oakes [who has spent more than 1 sleepless night recently dreaming
              > of proving the ERH]

              Thing is, you're not a nut. You know your maths. If you announced that you had
              a proof of RH, I would start breaking out the champagne instead of attacking
              you.

              Décio