Re: About the form of a solution to GC

  • richard042@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 11 , Mar 5, 2005
      Hello,

      Chris speaks wisdom, take it from a former 8. Anyone can claim
      proof. Someone who actually has proof does not need to make any
      claims whatsoever, they simply have to ask others what is wrong with
      it and they will take up the challenge of finding out. If it's truly
      that short and clearly written, it will be digestible and
      understandable to many members of this list. The list has an archive
      and world-wide membership as witness. You may be a nut and you
      simply don't know it yet. You can cure yourself of the condition by
      learning as much as you can about your subject matter and about the
      realities of the academic mathematical world into which you seek
      acceptance. Make no claims, ask questions. Any proof, or any
      mathematical idea for that matter, is worthless if it is unknown. If
      it's incorrect, it's worthless. If you don't put it out there for
      scrutiny, it's worthless whether it's correct or not. And
      ultimately, it's not your call on whether it is valid proof or not,
      it must pass the scrutiny of everyone else in the world, and you have
      to start somewhere. Consider how long it will take you in isolation
      to learn enough about math and logic to be able to critically attack
      your own paper. Just a little effort along these lines sometimes
      goes a long way toward prevention of self-embarrassment and
      spontaneous nut index inflation.

      But your safeguard is the presentation, make no claims, ask
      questions, thank those who take the time to help you and learn from
      them how to save them time on future endeavors. I guarantee it's
      100% O.K., even admirable, to be wrong - UNLESS, you're wrong about
      being right. So simply do not go there. If no one from this group
      can find anything wrong with a posted proof, it will be a rarity
      indeed, an event to remember in and of itself.

      If you are a mathematician trapped in a nut body, you must and will
      educate yourself as the means to escape, otherwise you'll remain a
      nut. How do you educate yourself? - Well start asking questions
      about what you see in numbers. Until you start asking questions and
      seeking out answers, you shall remain trapped, and there ye' shall be.

      -Dick Boland

      > Most nuts are incapable of taking correction--if no one can give
      you a
      > reasonable correction, then up you nut index by three. If you
      > alone have a right answer an the whole world misses the simple
      truth,
      > up your nut inex by 8 (10 is the max). For each incorrect
      > proof that you retracted appropriately--subtract one from the nut
    • Bob Gilson
      Message 2 of 11 , Mar 5, 2005
        Chris Caldwell <caldwell@...> wrote:
        On Sat, 5 Mar 2005, Bob Gilson wrote:
        > If a solution to GC was not couched in formal mathematics but was
        > let's say based on observation and a little arithmetic, easy to
        > understand and short; would that be acceptable for peer review as a
        > solution and ultimately publication.
        > I am also aware that any post which assumes a solution will be
        > considered with some disdain and condescension by many.

        The disdain, at least on my part, is not for assuming a solution,
        but for the foolish games those who think they have one often play.
        I get tired of "I got the solution, where do I collect money",
        "I have a solution, but it is secret", and of course the
        insulting "I have a solution and it is simple" which implies
        thousands of mathematicians over hundreds of years have missed
        the simple. Insulting and unlikely.

        To avoid some disdain do this: take the time and effort to read what
        others have done so you can put your "proof" in context and in
        the language of your audience. Then attempt to publish in a
        reputible manner.

        If too lazy to do that, then try this: write it up as neatly
        as you can and post it publically with a note "I think this is a
        proof of _______, do you see any problems with it?" Of course
        if it is too outlandishly written "using the z-spectral
        reasoning only I understand we get..." or "adding my zero-point
        axioms we can prove all unproven theorem" you will get disdain.

        Finally, always listen more than you speak. If most of the posts
        on a list on any one subject are from you; it is time to stop talking
        about it.

        Chris.

        Most nuts are incapable of taking correction--if no one can give you a
        reasonable correction, then up you nut index by three. If you
        alone have a right answer an the whole world misses the simple truth,
        up your nut inex by 8 (10 is the max). For each incorrect
        proof that you retracted appropriately--subtract one from the nut

        Hey Chris

        I was merely replying to what chrisdarroch wrote, and commented "Publish and be damned"

        So please do not attribute to me that which I did not say.

        Many thanks

        Bob Gilson

      • Bob Gilson
        Message 3 of 11 , Mar 5, 2005
          richard042@... wrote:

          Hello,

          Chris speaks wisdom, take it from a former 8. Anyone can claim
          proof. Someone who actually has proof does not need to make any
          claims whatsoever, they simply have to ask others what is wrong with
          it and they will take up the challenge of finding out. If it's truly
          that short and clearly written, it will be digestible and
          understandable to many members of this list. The list has an archive
          and world-wide membership as witness. You may be a nut and you
          simply don't know it yet. You can cure yourself of the condition by
          learning as much as you can about your subject matter and about the
          realities of the academic mathematical world into which you seek
          acceptance. Make no claims, ask questions. Any proof, or any
          mathematical idea for that matter, is worthless if it is unknown. If
          it's incorrect, it's worthless. If you don't put it out there for
          scrutiny, it's worthless whether it's correct or not. And
          ultimately, it's not your call on whether it is valid proof or not,
          it must pass the scrutiny of everyone else in the world, and you have
          to start somewhere. Consider how long it will take you in isolation
          to learn enough about math and logic to be able to critically attack
          your own paper. Just a little effort along these lines sometimes
          goes a long way toward prevention of self-embarrassment and
          spontaneous nut index inflation.

          But your safeguard is the presentation, make no claims, ask
          questions, thank those who take the time to help you and learn from
          them how to save them time on future endeavors. I guarantee it's
          100% O.K., even admirable, to be wrong - UNLESS, you're wrong about
          being right. So simply do not go there. If no one from this group
          can find anything wrong with a posted proof, it will be a rarity
          indeed, an event to remember in and of itself.

          If you are a mathematician trapped in a nut body, you must and will
          educate yourself as the means to escape, otherwise you'll remain a
          nut. How do you educate yourself? - Well start asking questions
          about what you see in numbers. Until you start asking questions and
          seeking out answers, you shall remain trapped, and there ye' shall be.

          -Dick Boland

          > Most nuts are incapable of taking correction--if no one can give
          you a
          > reasonable correction, then up you nut index by three. If you
          > alone have a right answer an the whole world misses the simple
          truth,
          > up your nut inex by 8 (10 is the max). For each incorrect
          > proof that you retracted appropriately--subtract one from the nut

          Dear Richard

          Perhaps you can persuade chrisdarroch to publish his "proof" so that Decio can have a field day. On the other hand...

          Bob Gilson

          Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

        • Jacques Tramu
          Message 4 of 11 , Mar 5, 2005
            I'm humbly listening to the all the propos in this list for 6 months,
            and I am proud to announce that I never solved the GC, even in my dreams.

            Best regards to all
            Jacques Tramu

          • mikeoakes2@aol.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Mar 5, 2005
              jacques.tramu@... writes:

              I'm humbly listening to the all the propos in this list for 6 months,
              and I am proud to announce that I never solved the GC, even in my dreams.

              Best regards to all
              Jacques Tramu

              Ah, ... but the flip side of that is that if you never dream it then you
              assuredly won't ever do it.

              -Mike Oakes [who has spent more than 1 sleepless night recently dreaming of
              proving the ERH]

            • Décio Luiz Gazzoni Filho
              Message 6 of 11 , Mar 5, 2005
                On Saturday 05 March 2005 17:36, you wrote:
                > Ah, ... but the flip side of that is that if you never dream it then you
                > assuredly won't ever do it.
                >
                > -Mike Oakes [who has spent more than 1 sleepless night recently dreaming
                > of proving the ERH]

                Thing is, you're not a nut. You know your maths. If you announced that you had
                a proof of RH, I would start breaking out the champagne instead of attacking
                you.

                Décio