Re: [PrimeNumbers] QUESTION

  • Joseph Moore
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 4, 2005
      SHOUTING, SHOUTING+1 and SHOUTING-1. Add these
      together, subtract 2, and multiply by the square root
      of infinity to get your final result.

      J.

      --- rajeevbat <rajeevbat@...> wrote:

      > WHAT ARE THE MINIMUM NUMBER OF FACTORS THAT THE
      > EXPRESSION
      > n^4-5*(n^2)+4
      > WILL HAVE IF N IS A SET OF PRIME NUMBERS GREATER
      > THAN 500

      __________________________________
      Celebrate Yahoo!'s 10th Birthday!
    • Michael Gian
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 9, 2005
        --- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com, "rajeevbat" <rajeevbat@y...>
        wrote:

        > I UNDERSTOOD THE LOGIC BUT JUST CANT FINISH IT...
        > IT IS SIMILAR TO THE FROBENIUS PROBLEM ONLY THAT THIS QUESTION
        DEALS
        > WITH THREE NUMBERS
        > >

        > > VIVEK AND AISHWARYA LIMITED SELLS BISCUITS.
        > > THEY SELL BISCUITS IN PACKETS OF 56, 95 AND 145.
        > > (THAT MEANS IT IS POSSIBLE TO BUY 56+95=151 BISCUITS BUT NOT 200
        > > BISCUITS EXACTLY)
        > > I WENT TO THEIR SHOP EXPECTING AISHWARYA TO BE SELLING BISCUITS.
        > > HAD PLANNED TO PURCHASE A LARGE QUANTITY OF BISCUITS SO THAT I
        > COULD
        > > IMPRESS AISHWARYA BEING A GOOD CUSTOMER.
        > > BUT WHEN I REACHED THERE I SAW VIVEK AT THE COUNTER.
        > > I COULD NOT POSSIBLY GO OUT WITHOUT BUYING ANYTHING FROM THE SHOP
        > AS
        > > IT WOULD CREATE A BAD IMPRESSION.
        > > SO I DECIDED TO ORDER THE LARGEST QUANTITY OF BISCUITS THAT VIVEK
        > > WOULD NOT BE ABLE TO PROVIDE ME WITH.
        > >
        > > AND I WOULD GO OUT WITHOUT HAVING TO BUY ANYTHING.
        > > HOW MUCH SHOULD I ORDER?
        > >

        > > (according to me-
        > > if you can find x in
        > > 56a+95b+145c= x
        > > where x is the largest possible prime number according to the
        given
        > > constraints you would have solved the question)

        Rajeev,

        Finding any solution to 56a+95b+145c=x requires you to buy biscuits!
        You need the largest x NOT a solution.
        Solve the following set of 56 Diophantine equations for the smallest
        n; n will then be the largest x:
        for i = 1->56, 56a_i+95b_i+145c_i = n+i.

        Michael