The Music of the Primes

  • Mark Underwood
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 28, 2005
      Recently finished reading a book by Marcus du Sautoy called The Music
      of the Primes. My brother in law had given it to me on my birthday.
      I had been free from my amateurish doodling habit in primes, (nearly
      a year?) but the book brought back some of the primal passion and I
      thought I would pay the Yahoo Prime group a visit after a long
      absence!

      I found the book very entertaining and hard to put down. Plenty of
      excursions into the lives of many mathematicians who have tried their
      hand at the Riemann Hypothesis. I didn't realize that Riemann was
      also a physicist who had been working on rotating balls of liquid and
      the vibrations associated with this. It turns out that Riemann zeros
      and the physics of energy vibrations - notably now in quantum physics
      regarding heavy nuclei - are closely related. The book states that
      it may well be a physicist who solves Reimann's hypothesis, which is
      almost certainly true. And who knew that the zeros 'on the line' are
      uniformly spaced, as if the 'repel' each other? And that (if I
      recall correctly), the first several billion zeros have been
      confirmed to be on the line.

      The book references about fifteen websites, including Chris
      Caldwell's www.utm.edu/research/primes/

      Marcus Du Sautoy has a website as well:

      http://www.musicoftheprimes.com

      Mark