Re: [PrimeNumbers] Some more questions?!

  • Chris Caldwell
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 28 5:21 AM
      At 04:00 PM 2/27/2005, you wrote:
      >1. Is there one man who could verify a solution to Goldbach's
      >Conjecture, whom the rest of the community would trust as able to do
      >so?
      >I am not assuming that such a man (or small group of men, would be
      >willing to do such a thing)

      No. Any one man can overlook something. That is why the usual approach is
      to a solution to an important problem is to

      (a) present the proof publicly (preprint server, Internet site, conference),
      (b) publish in a refereed journal
      (c) wait and see.

      Clay prizes I think suggest two years minimum for step three. What
      'cranks' often overlook is that the way you establish claim to a proof
      is by publication. Secrecy is your enemy. If you got it; you publish
      so everyone knows you do.

      >2. What other prizes might such a solution be likely to claim?
      >
      >Chris (a member of the set of cranks?)

      If you are working for a prize, history suggests you don't have a chance.
      Those that win tend to have deeper motivations.