Re: 17^k+13^k+... is PRP

  • Andrey Kulsha
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 1, 2001
      Hello!

      David Broadhurst wrote:

      > Pity that it will not get into Curios
      > within the next few months, at least.

      Why?

      Best wishes,

      Andrey
    • Milton Brown
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 1, 2001
        Because it would take at least 2 months to
        certify, presumably.

        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 2, 2001
          Hello!

          Milton Brown wrote:

          > Because it would take at least 2 months to
          > certify, presumably.

          It isn't the reason. If you find enough curious properties of this number, G.L.
          Honaker perhaps will publish it even if it's only a PRP.

          Best wishes,

          Andrey
        • Bill Krys
          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 2, 2001
            Hello,

            1. take any number, factor it to the primes;
            e.g.8=2*2*2.
            2. calculate the surface area; e.g. 6*(2*2)=24
            3. add or subtract 1; e.g. 24-1=23
            4. get a higher prime than the constituent primes of
            the composite factored.
            5. those primes with only 1 factor must use 1 as the
            other factor. But I also conject that you may use as
            many number 1's as desired and will still get a prime.
            6. if 2-dimensional, then use the perimeter, but may
            also use 1 as many times as like to create any
            n-dimensional figure and surface area +,- will be a
            higher prime than the constituent primes of number
            factored.

            I'm probably suffering, per usual, from looking at too
            small numbers. Could someone find counter examples,
            preferably groups of counter examples. Also can
            someone shed light on surface areas of 4th, 5th etc
            dimensional surface area calculations.

            Thanks,

            Bill
            --- Andrey Kulsha <Andrey_601@...> wrote:
            > Hello!
            >
            > Milton Brown wrote:
            >
            > > Because it would take at least 2 months to
            > > certify, presumably.
            >
            > It isn't the reason. If you find enough curious
            > properties of this number, G.L.
            > Honaker perhaps will publish it even if it's only a
            > PRP.
            >
            > Best wishes,
            >
            > Andrey

            =====
            Bill Krys
            Email: billkrys@...
            Toronto, Canada (currently: Beijing, China)

            http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
          • Bill Krys
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 2, 2001
              hello,

              it appears the constant to subtract from the surface
              area increases as the surface area increases.

              Bill

              =====

              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 2, 2001
                hello,

                more primes pop out if one permits a negative sign on
                the factors and then taking the absolute value after
                calculating.

                Bill

              • d.broadhurst@open.ac.uk
                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 2, 2001
                  Andrey Kulsha wrote:
                  > G.L. Honaker perhaps will publish it even if it's only a PRP.
                  I sincerely trust that G.L. will not!
                  I just checked: all of G.L.'s entries with
                  more than 1k digits are proven
                  (and all with less digits jolly well *ought* to be, too!)
                  David
                • Andrey Kulsha
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 2, 2001
                    Hello!

                    David Broadhurst wrote:

                    > I just checked: all of G.L.'s entries with
                    > more than 1k digits are proven
                    > (and all with less digits jolly well *ought* to be, too!)
                    > David

                    PC_1292: Some weeks ago was "The first 1292 digits of 1293^1294 form a PRP"
                    PC_141...021: "Note that the first 6205 form a titanic probable prime."

                    I believe that some very fine PRP may be published at PC pages.

                    Best wishes,

                    Andrey
                  • d.broadhurst@open.ac.uk
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 2, 2001
                      Andrey Kulsha wrote:

                      > PC_1292: Some weeks ago was
                      > "The first 1292 digits of 1293^1294 form a PRP"

                      > PC_141...021: "Note that the first 6205 form
                      > a titanic probable prime."

                      Yes, I see what you mean, now, Andrey, thanks.

                      We are both right.

                      G.L. does not post merely PrPs at their "digital"
                      positions, but may refer to them, in passing,
                      by smaller entries.

                      In fact, I see that the second of these PrPs, in
                      http://www.utm.edu/research/primes/curios/141...021.html
                      was communicated by me.
                      But please note that I was meticulous in
                      demoting it to its truly inferior status.