Re: 17^k+13^k+... is PRP

  • d.broadhurst@open.ac.uk
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 1, 2001
      Milton Brown wrote:
      > Here is an interesting little PRP
      > 17^k+13^k+11^k+7^k+5^k+3^k+2^k+k
      > with k= 3927 (4832 digits).
      Yes that PrP does rather appeal, thanks Milton!
      Pity that it will not get into Curios
      within the next few months, at least.
      > Perhaps, its form makes it amenable
      > too rapid certification by Titanix.
      Perhaps pigs might fly.
      David
    • Andrey Kulsha
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 1, 2001
        Hello!

        David Broadhurst wrote:

        > Pity that it will not get into Curios
        > within the next few months, at least.

        Why?

        Best wishes,

        Andrey
      • Milton Brown
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 1, 2001
          Because it would take at least 2 months to
          certify, presumably.

          Message 4 of 11 , Jul 2, 2001
            Hello!

            Milton Brown wrote:

            > Because it would take at least 2 months to
            > certify, presumably.

            It isn't the reason. If you find enough curious properties of this number, G.L.
            Honaker perhaps will publish it even if it's only a PRP.

            Best wishes,

            Andrey
          • Bill Krys
            Message 5 of 11 , Jul 2, 2001
              Hello,

              1. take any number, factor it to the primes;
              e.g.8=2*2*2.
              2. calculate the surface area; e.g. 6*(2*2)=24
              3. add or subtract 1; e.g. 24-1=23
              4. get a higher prime than the constituent primes of
              the composite factored.
              5. those primes with only 1 factor must use 1 as the
              other factor. But I also conject that you may use as
              many number 1's as desired and will still get a prime.
              6. if 2-dimensional, then use the perimeter, but may
              also use 1 as many times as like to create any
              n-dimensional figure and surface area +,- will be a
              higher prime than the constituent primes of number
              factored.

              I'm probably suffering, per usual, from looking at too
              small numbers. Could someone find counter examples,
              preferably groups of counter examples. Also can
              someone shed light on surface areas of 4th, 5th etc
              dimensional surface area calculations.

              Thanks,

              Bill
              --- Andrey Kulsha <Andrey_601@...> wrote:
              > Hello!
              >
              > Milton Brown wrote:
              >
              > > Because it would take at least 2 months to
              > > certify, presumably.
              >
              > It isn't the reason. If you find enough curious
              > properties of this number, G.L.
              > Honaker perhaps will publish it even if it's only a
              > PRP.
              >
              > Best wishes,
              >
              > Andrey

              =====
              Bill Krys
              Email: billkrys@...
              Toronto, Canada (currently: Beijing, China)

              http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
            • Bill Krys
              Message 6 of 11 , Jul 2, 2001
                hello,

                it appears the constant to subtract from the surface
                area increases as the surface area increases.

                Bill

                =====

                Message 7 of 11 , Jul 2, 2001
                  hello,

                  more primes pop out if one permits a negative sign on
                  the factors and then taking the absolute value after
                  calculating.

                  Bill

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 2, 2001
                    Andrey Kulsha wrote:
                    > G.L. Honaker perhaps will publish it even if it's only a PRP.
                    I sincerely trust that G.L. will not!
                    I just checked: all of G.L.'s entries with
                    more than 1k digits are proven
                    (and all with less digits jolly well *ought* to be, too!)
                    David
                  • Andrey Kulsha
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jul 2, 2001
                      Hello!

                      David Broadhurst wrote:

                      > I just checked: all of G.L.'s entries with
                      > more than 1k digits are proven
                      > (and all with less digits jolly well *ought* to be, too!)
                      > David

                      PC_1292: Some weeks ago was "The first 1292 digits of 1293^1294 form a PRP"
                      PC_141...021: "Note that the first 6205 form a titanic probable prime."

                      I believe that some very fine PRP may be published at PC pages.

                      Best wishes,

                      Andrey
                    • d.broadhurst@open.ac.uk
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jul 2, 2001
                        Andrey Kulsha wrote:

                        > PC_1292: Some weeks ago was
                        > "The first 1292 digits of 1293^1294 form a PRP"

                        > PC_141...021: "Note that the first 6205 form
                        > a titanic probable prime."

                        Yes, I see what you mean, now, Andrey, thanks.

                        We are both right.

                        G.L. does not post merely PrPs at their "digital"
                        positions, but may refer to them, in passing,
                        by smaller entries.

                        In fact, I see that the second of these PrPs, in
                        http://www.utm.edu/research/primes/curios/141...021.html
                        was communicated by me.
                        But please note that I was meticulous in
                        demoting it to its truly inferior status.