Re: [PrimeNumbers] Help needed

  • Décio Luiz Gazzoni Filho
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 31, 2005
      On Monday 31 January 2005 08:56, you wrote:
      > Decio,
      > Yes, you're right: that formula for B3 with gamma in it is just the key to
      > David's stupendous calculation - see his pages (communicated off-list):-
      >
      > http://physics.open.ac.uk/~dbroadhu/cert/cohenb3.txt
      > http://physics.open.ac.uk/~dbroadhu/cert/cohenb3.ps

      Mike: you're giving me too much credit here, I was just throwing stuff in the
      air to see whether anyone brighter than me could figure it out. Truth be
      told, I'm still working out the Postscript file written by David -- as the
      joke goes, don't drink and derive...

      Décio

    • hl59126
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 4, 2005
        Let q a positive integer and 1<=r<=q. Is there a theorem that tells
        us how many integers a, 1<=a<=q, verify a^r=1 mod(q)?

        I have found that:
        (1) if q is prime or a power of a prime p, i.e. q=p^x, then there
        are GCD(r,EulerPhi(q)) integers a that satisfy a^r=1 mod(q).
        (2) if q is a product of two powers of primes p' and p'', i.e.
        q=p'^x p''^y, then there are GCD(r,Carmichael(q))*GCD(r,Phi
        (q)/Carmichael(q)) integers a that satisfy a^r=1 mod(q).

        Are these results correct and can we generalize to any integer q?

        Thanks for your help
        Hervé