Re: [PrimeNumbers] primorial-factorial prime

  • Décio Luiz Gazzoni Filho
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 26, 2005
      > Decio
      >
      > You are retracing well-trodden paths.
      >
      > See for example Chris Caldwell & Yves Gallot's excellent paper dating from
      > 2002 obtainable at
      > _http://primes.utm.edu/references/refs.cgi?long=CG2000_
      > (http://primes.utm.edu/references/refs.cgi?long=CG2000)

      Mike,

      Hardly can anyone do elementary number theory today without following in
      someone's footsteps. Actually what surprises me the most is that the
      half-hour of effort that I put towards developing that heuristic isn't far
      from the state of the art!

      The paper also led me to question the choice of software to resume your search
      for primo-factorials. I'm not well versed on the available software for this
      task, so I picked up PFGW which I'm a little bit familiar with. But perhaps
      Yves Gallot's Proth is better suited to the task?

      Regarding the search, I'm up to n = 7139 and no new primes found yet. I'm
      hoping I can get to n = 10000 within a week or so.

      Décio