Re: On the conjecture of Sophie Germain numbers and Fermat Theorem

  • hl59126
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 26, 2005
      > What I have in mind is that for Sophie Germain numbers
      > the set of residues of i^p (mod q) (1<i<q) are always comprised
      > between 2 and q-1.

      To be more precise and more rigorous, this is true for q composite
      and squarefree. In that case, the set of residues of i^p (mod q)
      (1<i<q) is exactly the set {2,...,q-1}. For q composite and not
      squarefree, the set of residues is {0} + {i: 1<i<q and GCD(i,q)=1} +
      {some of the multiples of the prime factors of q}. This last set can
      be defined more precisely and I have an algorithm to define which
      multiples of the prime factors of q are residues. But the main point
      is that 1 is never in these sets.