6k-1 6k+1 primes

  • mcnamara_gio
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 13, 2005
      does anybody know where to find such k's for which neither 6k-1 nor
      6k+1
      is prime or a program that finds such k's. please e-mail me if you
      have such information
    • Hadley, Thomas H (Tom), ALABS
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 13, 2005
        You can generate an infinite number of these by solving three equations with
        the Chinese Remainder Theorem. Pick two different primes > 3, call them
        p and q. Solve these three equations:
        x == 0 mod 6
        x == 1 mod p
        x == q-1 mod q

        set k to be x/6

        Example, let p=7, q=11. Solution is x == 120 mod 462.
        x = 120+462t for t = 0, 1, 2, 3, ...
        k = 20 + 77t for t = 0, 1, 2, 3, ...

        Different p and q will get you different infinite series. Some numbers will
        belong to more than one series.

        Tom Hadley

        does anybody know where to find such k's for which neither 6k-1 nor
        6k+1
        is prime or a program that finds such k's. please e-mail me if you
        have such information

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • LALGUDI BALASUNDARAM
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 14, 2005
          Hi,
          primes,please refer to my communication of 10/17 to
          the group on the same subject.
          L.J.Balasundaram

          http://mail.yahoo.com