WANTED: XL Algorithm to perform BASE 9 Number Reduction

  • Eric Sean Webber
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 30, 2004
      Looking for an XL [microsoft spread sheet] algorithm to perform BASE 9 Number reduction...

      BASE 9 # REDUCTION or B9#R for short is taking any integer and reducing it to a single digit by adding the digits and recursively reducing sums greater than 1 digit to 1 digit...

      For example:

      1=1 since it is already one digit, same for 1 thru 9 of course]
      7=7
      11=1+1=2
      27=2+7=9
      84=8+4=11=1+1=2
      496=4+9+6=19=1+9=10=1+0=1

      You get the idea...

      Thanks in advance...

      warmest regards,

      Eric Sean Webber

      CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.

    • Chris Caldwell
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 30, 2004
        On Thu, 30 Dec 2004, Eric Sean Webber wrote:

        > BASE 9 # REDUCTION or B9#R for short is taking any integer and reducing it to a single digit by adding the digits and recursively reducing sums greater than 1 digit to 1 digit...
        >
        > For example:
        >
        > 1=1 since it is already one digit, same for 1 thru 9 of course]
        > 7=7
        > 11=1+1=2
        > 27=2+7=9
        > 84=8+4=11=1+1=2
        > 496=4+9+6=19=1+9=10=1+0=1

        Algorithm: Divide the number by 9; keep only the remainder (and replace 0
        by 9). (Adding the digits is pretty fast)
      • Eric Sean Webber

          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 30, 2004
            >From: Chris Caldwell <caldwell@...>
            >To: Eric Sean Webber <ericswebber@...>
            >CC: primenumbers@yahoogroups.com, <fun_with_numbers@yahoogroups.com>
            >Subject: Re: [PrimeNumbers] WANTED: XL Algorithm to perform BASE 9 Number
            >Reduction
            >Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 08:26:54 -0600 (CST)
            >
            >On Thu, 30 Dec 2004, Eric Sean Webber wrote:
            > >
            > > BASE 9 # REDUCTION or B9#R for short is taking any integer and reducing
            >it to a single digit by adding the digits and recursively reducing sums
            >greater than 1 digit to 1 digit...
            > >
            > > For example:
            > >
            > > 1=1 since it is already one digit, same for 1 thru 9 of course]
            > > 7=7
            > > 11=1+1=2
            > > 27=2+7=9
            > > 84=8+4=11=1+1=2
            > > 496=4+9+6=19=1+9=10=1+0=1
            >
            >Algorithm: Divide the number by 9; keep only the remainder (and replace 0
            >by 9). (Adding the digits is pretty fast)

            To find the digital root of a number.

            place your number in cell A1 and type this formila in another cell for the
            digital root.
            =IF(A1-INT(A1/9)*9,A1-INT(A1/9)*9,9)

            You can use the =IF(MOD($A$1,9),MOD($A$1,9),9) but it is only good to 9
            places

            if you want to make a project
            extract the digits using
            =IF(ISERR(VALUE(MID(TEXT($A$1,0),B3,1))),0,VALUE(MID(TEXT($A$1,0),B3,1)))
            place in C3 and 1-15 in cells B3-B17 and copy it down.

            sum cells C3..C7 and copy that in A19
            The place
            =IF(ISERR(VALUE(MID(TEXT($A$19,0),B19,1))),0,VALUE(MID(TEXT($A$19,0),B19,1)))
            in C19, 1,2,3 in cells B19..B23 and copy down
            and sum those in cell A24
            then place
            =IF(ISERR(VALUE(MID(TEXT($A$24,0),B24,1))),0,VALUE(MID(TEXT($A$24,0),B24,1)))
            in cell C24 1,2 in cells B24,B25 and copy down

            This last step should only require one formula copy.

            Finally, you can write a VB function Droot() to have available on the fly. I
            used Dr. C's method. Of
            course you can do the digital parse this way too.

            Function Droot(s As String) As Double
            Dim x As Double
            x = Evaluate(s)
            x = x - Int(x / 9) * 9
            If x > 0 Then
            Droot = x
            Else
            Droot = 9
            End If
            End Function

            A function is the way to go for this.

            I have attached a worksheet.

            Have fun in the facinating world of numbers
            Cino

          • Ben Newsam
            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 31, 2004
              In message <20041231011323.18121.qmail@...>, Eric