another way to calculate primes

  • Jim Doyle
    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 2, 2004
      Hi

      I'm not sure if this is a new idea but I have not come across it .
      Its based on the fact that apart from 2 and 5 all primes have a last digit of 1,3,7 or 9.

      and

      only numbers that end with 1,3,7 or 9 can be multiplied together to produce numbers that end with a 1,3,7 or 9

      thus

      the set of prime numbers = 2 and 5 and not including 1

      PLUS

      the set of all numbers ending with 1,3,7,or 9

      MINUS

      the set of all numbers created by multiplying all
      numbers ending with 1,3,7 or 9 by all numbers
      ending with 1,3,7 or 9.

      I'm looking for comments such as this has all been done before, so forget about or should it be further investigated.

      Jim

    • Mazzarello Gianni
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 6, 2004
        It seems correct, but we can say it in an equivalent way:

        the set of prime numbers = 2, 5 PLUS all odd numbers > 5, not ending by
        5 and not composite.

        Following your way we could perform primality test on a number N
        searching odd numbers ending by 1, 3, 7, 9 and less than sqrt(N).

        Moreover, considering the least significant digit:

        ...1 => 1 x 1 or 3 x 7 or 9 x 9
        ...3 => 1 x 3 or 7 x 9
        ...7 => 1 x 7 or 3 x 9
        ...9 => 1 x 9 or 7 x 7 or 3 x 3

        we can limit our search to a set of the order of sqrt(N) x 2/10 or
        sqrt(N) x 3/10 elements.
        That is: numbers ending by 1, 3, 9 (or 1, 7, 9) if N ends by 1 and so
        on.

        I was wondering this: for a fixed M, are there more primes < M ending
        with 3 and 7 than primes < M ending with 1 and 9?

        Gianni

      • Mazzarello Gianni
        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 6, 2004
          Of course I meant to say:

          the set of prime numbers = 2, 3, 5 PLUS all odd numbers > 5, not ending
          by
          5 and not composite.

        • mikeoakes2@aol.com
          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 6, 2004
            g.mazzarello@... writes:

            >I was wondering this: for a fixed M, are there more primes < M ending
            >with 3 and 7 than primes < M ending with 1 and 9?

            Everyone believes that asymptotically (as M -> oo) the numbers are equal,
            but no-one can prove this.

            For evidence at M=10^13, see my post
            _http://listserv.nodak.edu/scripts/wa.exe?A2=ind0403&L=nmbrthry&P=2486_
            (http://listserv.nodak.edu/scripts/wa.exe?A2=ind0403&L=nmbrthry&P=2486)

            -Mike Oakes

          • jbrennen
            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 6, 2004
              --- Mike Oakes wrote:

              > g.mazzarello@t... writes:
              >
              > >I was wondering this: for a fixed M, are there more primes < M
              > >ending with 3 and 7 than primes < M ending with 1 and 9?
              >
              > Everyone believes that asymptotically (as M -> oo) the numbers
              > are equal, but no-one can prove this.

              I thought that they were proven to be asymptotically equal by
              an extension of Dirichlet's Theorem.

              http://www.utm.edu/research/primes/notes/Dirichlet.html

              See the last equation on that page, which gives bounds for an
              error term.
            • Mazzarello Gianni
              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 6, 2004
                It's likely that they are asymptotically equal.
                In this moment I'm running a routine (I'm over 8.5 x 10^6) that counts
                separately the number of primes ending with the digit 1, 3, 7, 9.
                The fraction of the total number of primes found (that is: p1/PN, p3/PN,
                p7/PN, p9/PN, where pk is a prime with k as last digit) is < 0.2500 for
                the primes ending with 1 and 9, is > 0.2500 for the primes ending with 3
                and 7.
                They are all approaching 0.25: always from below p1 and p9 (0.2499),
                always from above p3 and p7 (0.2501).

                Gianni

              • mikeoakes2@aol.com
                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 6, 2004
                  In a message dated 06/12/2004 14:22:21 GMT Standard Time, jack@...
                  writes:

                  I thought that they were proven to be asymptotically equal by
                  an extension of Dirichlet's Theorem.

                  http://www.utm.edu/research/primes/notes/Dirichlet.html

                  See the last equation on that page, which gives bounds for an
                  error term.

                  Yes, you are right of course.
                  My mistake :-(

                  -Mike Oakes

                • Gianni Mazzarello
                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 6, 2004
                    I noticed I forgot to include 3, it was only distraction.

                    However I think this statement is enaugh:

                    the set of prime numbers = 2, 3, 5 PLUS all odd numbers > 5, not ending by 5 and not composite.

                    7 is included: 7>5, 7 is odd not ending by 5 AND not composite.
                    9 is not included: 9 is composite (3^2)
                    11 is included: 11>5, 11 is odd not ending by 5 AND not composite.

                    By "composite number" I meant an integer that is the product of two or more integers. I hope I used
                    the right translation of what I meant.

                    Of course we can use a more concise statement:
                    pimes = all not composite numbers > 1.
                    We will find that, with the exception of 2 and 5, all prime numbers have as final digit one of
                    these: 1, 3, 7, 9.

                    >> the set of prime numbers = 2, 5 PLUS all odd numbers > 5, not ending by
                    >> 5 and not composite.

                    > Might it not be more correct to state:

                    > the set of prime numbers = 2,3,5,7,11 PLUS all odd numbers > 5, not ending by
                    > 5 and not composite.

                    > ... since the first statement would seem to allow 9 as a prime, and omits 3?
                  • Paul Leyland
                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 7, 2004
                      On Tue, 2004-12-07 at 00:45, Gianni Mazzarello wrote:
                      > I noticed I forgot to include 3, it was only distraction.
                      >
                      > However I think this statement is enaugh:
                      >
                      > the set of prime numbers = 2, 3, 5 PLUS all odd numbers > 5,
                      > not ending by 5 and not composite.

                      I'm missing something. Why single out 2, 3 and 5?

                      The set of prime numbers is all numbers that are not composite, by
                      definition.

                      Paul
                    • richard_heylen
                      Message 10 of 15 , Dec 7, 2004
                        --- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com, Paul Leyland <pcl@w...> wrote:

                        > The set of prime numbers is all numbers that are not composite, by
                        > definition.

                        Whoa there! That leaves a mighty narrow definition of "numbers".
                        Units? Rationals?

                        I'm guessing that there's some implied context to this remark which
                        I'm missing. Care to supply it?

                        Rick
                      • Décio Luiz Gazzoni Filho
                        Message 11 of 15 , Dec 7, 2004
                          On Tuesday 07 December 2004 18:20, you wrote:
                          > --- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com, Paul Leyland <pcl@w...> wrote:
                          > > The set of prime numbers is all numbers that are not composite, by
                          > > definition.
                          >
                          > Whoa there! That leaves a mighty narrow definition of "numbers".
                          > Units? Rationals?

                          Let's not be pedantic here. From the context it's pretty clear that we're
                          talking about integers, so the only gap in Paul's declaration relates to
                          units. Furthermore, even if his definition was not 100% mathematically
                          correct, I think his point was well communicated, and that's what matters
                          here -- he's not trying to write a book, but rather point out the flaw in the

                          Décio

                        • Paul Leyland
                          Message 12 of 15 , Dec 8, 2004
                            On Tue, 2004-12-07 at 20:52, Décio Luiz Gazzoni Filho wrote:
                            > On Tuesday 07 December 2004 18:20, you wrote:
                            > > --- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com, Paul Leyland <pcl@w...> wrote:
                            > > > The set of prime numbers is all numbers that are not composite, by
                            > > > definition.
                            > >
                            > > Whoa there! That leaves a mighty narrow definition of "numbers".
                            > > Units? Rationals?
                            >
                            > Let's not be pedantic here. From the context it's pretty clear that we're
                            > talking about integers, so the only gap in Paul's declaration relates to
                            > units. Furthermore, even if his definition was not 100% mathematically
                            > correct, I think his point was well communicated, and that's what matters
                            > here -- he's not trying to write a book, but rather point out the flaw in the

                            Thanks Decio.

                            Two people, including Rick and another by personal email, have told me I
                            omitted the unit. Nobody told me I omitted zero. I freely admit that I
                            should have included them. As for rationals, irrationals, algebraics,
                            transcendentals, gaussian integers, complex numbers, quaternions and all
                            the rest of the zoo, I think it pretty obvious from context that the
                            area of discourse was N or Z. Otherwise, I may have been tempted to
                            point out that 3 is prime but that 2 is (1+i)(1-i) and 5 is (2+i)(2-i)
                            in the Gaussians.

                            After that clarification, can someone please tell me why in Z or N that
                            2, 3 and 5 need singling as special cases?

                            Paul
                          • Mazzarello Gianni
                            Message 13 of 15 , Dec 10, 2004
                              I post this after two days of absence. I still have to read all messages posted, but I'd like to answer to this question

                              The strange way to define primes was intended to point out the ending digit of almost all the primes: 1, 3, 7, 9 (all except 2 and 5) and the feature that such numbers, multiplied each other in any way , give as a result another number that ends with one of those digits.

                              The message posted by Jim Doyle [mailto:ozyjim2004@...] Sent: Friday, December 03, 2004 1:53 AM
                              >Subject: [PrimeNumbers] another way to calculate primes

                              made me think in which way the mentioned ending digits are obtained.

                              ...1 => 1 x 1 or 3 x 7 or 9 x 9
                              ...3 => 1 x 3 or 7 x 9
                              ...7 => 1 x 7 or 3 x 9
                              ...9 => 1 x 9 or 7 x 7 or 3 x 3

                              We notice that "in a period" of 10 Natural numbers (e. g. from 1001 to 1010, or from 1,234,567 to 1,234,576 and so on) we can generate more composite numbers ending with the digit 1 and 9 than numbers with ending digit 3 and 7.
                              This, at first glance, made me suppose that primes with ending digit 1 or 9 would be less than primes with ending digit 3 or 7.

                              I heard, though I haven't studied it still, of a theorem that says that primes are equally distributed on the four ending digits as they grow to infinity.
                              In a easy computer routine that counts the number of primes of the "four ending digit kinds" I found that starting from 2 and going to the order of 10^8, the primes with ending digit 3 and 7 are more (about 200 at the end) than those ending with 1 and 9.

                              That's all

                              Gianni
                            • Gianni Mazzarello
                              Message 14 of 15 , Dec 12, 2004
                                You say:
                                --
                                You have to count the "reverse" cases:

                                ...1 => 1 x 1 or 3 x 7 or 7 x 3 or 9 x 9
                                ...3 => 1 x 3 or 3 x 1 or 7 x 9 or 9 x 7
                                ...7 => 1 x 7 or 7 x 1 or 3 x 9 or 9 x 3
                                ...9 => 1 x 9 or 9 x 1 or 7 x 7 or 3 x 3
                                --

                                It seems to me you are right (more or less).
                                But haven't they "reverse" cases also 1x1 and 3x3 and 7 x 7 and 9 x 9?

                                ...1 => 1 x 1 or 3 x 7 or 7 x 3 or 9 x 9 or 1 x 1 or 9 x 9
                                ...3 => 1 x 3 or 3 x 1 or 7 x 9 or 9 x 7
                                ...7 => 1 x 7 or 7 x 1 or 3 x 9 or 9 x 3
                                ...9 => 1 x 9 or 9 x 1 or 7 x 7 or 3 x 3 or 3 x 3 or 7 x 7

                                Gianni

                                Message 15 of 15 , Dec 13, 2004
                                  Gianni,
                                  I think Jens is correct. You have to ask what it is that we are
                                  trying to enumerate. We're trying to find the last digits for the
                                  factors of some odd composite, N, call them p and q and we can let
                                  p represent the smaller number, q the larger. The case, for
                                  example where p=3(mod 10) and q=7(mod 10) is different from p=7(mod 10)
                                  and q=3(mod 10) but the case p=1(mod 10) and q=1(mod 10) is not a different
                                  case when the 1 and 1 are swapped.

                                  Another way to think of it: Make a 4x4 multiplication table, mod 10.
                                  With 4 digits there are 16 ways to combine them, with nice symmetry.

                                  1 3 7 9
                                  1 1 3 7 9
                                  3 3 9 1 7
                                  7 7 1 9 3