New generalized Woodall record

  • pminovic
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 8, 2004
      I'm happy to announce the finding of the new largest
      generalized Woodall prime:

      401208*3^401208-1 is prime! 191431 digits.

      On the Top-5000 list it appears as 133736*3^401209-1.

      I began searching for gen Woodall's sometime in spring 2003.
      My initial objective was to find primes for "primeless" bases
      and I began with b=13 but it turned out to be an unlucky choice
      as in the 50,000-230,000 range I found no primes. Later, while
      searching other bases I found myself often in the new record
      territory but the current (now old!) record set by Wolter was
      just too large to beat.

      By the way, for b<=120 there are still no known gen Woodall's
      in bases 13, 43, and 104 although all three are extensively
      checked.

      On this occasion I'd like to thank Steven Harvey for flawlessly
      running "Gen Woodall" project, Mark Rodenkirch for his great
      Multisieve, Jim Fougeron et al. for maintaining pfgw (not the
      fastest but certainly the most reliable software to use with
      this kind of primes) and last but not least George Wolter for
      urging me to keep on trying to break his record!

      Regards,
      Predrag Minovic
    • pminovic
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 8, 2004
        Of course it's Thomas Wolter, not George, who owned the old
        generalized Woodall record.

        Thomas, please forgive me for such an error.

        Predrag Minovic

        --- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com, "pminovic" wrote:
        > and last but not least George Wolter for
        > urging me to keep on trying to break his record!
      • Mark Rodenkirch
        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 8, 2004
          On Nov 8, 2004, at 11:05 AM, pminovic wrote:
          > I'm happy to announce the finding of the new largest
          > generalized Woodall prime:
          >
          > 401208*3^401208-1 is prime! 191431 digits.
          >
          > On the Top-5000 list it appears as 133736*3^401209-1.

          Congrats. I only wish base 2 would be so fruitful...