Re: [PrimeNumbers] Big ECM factor!

  • Jens Kruse Andersen
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 17, 2004
      Jay Berg wrote:

      > And I'm very puzzled as to what caused
      > facter.exe to generate an extraneous factor, how it produced an
      > actual real factor of a real factor of another (10^82+1) N

      Don't blame factor.exe.
      David Broadhurst has almost certainly solved the mystery. He suggests the
      82-digit number must have been pasted twice to factor.exe, i.e. multiplied by
      10^82+1.

      Why didn't I think of that?
      Probably because I'm not a nuclear physicist.

      --
      Jens Kruse Andersen
    • Jay Berg
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 17, 2004
        --- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com, "Jens Kruse Andersen"
        <jens.k.a@g...> wrote:
        > Jay Berg wrote:
        >
        > > And I'm very puzzled as to what caused
        > > facter.exe to generate an extraneous factor, how it produced an
        > > actual real factor of a real factor of another (10^82+1) N
        >
        > Don't blame factor.exe.
        > David Broadhurst has almost certainly solved the mystery. He
        suggests the
        > 82-digit number must have been pasted twice to factor.exe, i.e.
        multiplied by
        > 10^82+1.

        That solves it and allows me to recreate the results! Thanks for
        helping resolve the problem.

        I'd much rather it be my sloppy cut 'n pasting, than to be wondering
        about a tool that has proven so valuable. Now that I know it was my
        booboo, I can stop wondering.

        Thanks again for helping to point out the error AND helping to
        resolve the cause.

        Jay
      • Robert Sitton (old)
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 17, 2004
          Is factor.exe open source?

          Rob

          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 17, 2004
            --- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com, "Robert Sitton \(old\)"
            <rsitton@a...> wrote:
            > Is factor.exe open source?

            There's several versions of it floating around. I'd suggest you start
            the search for a good source base at the following URL.

            http://home.netcom.com/~jrhowell/math/software.htm

            It's a very good tool for cracking most composites. Of course it
            doesn't work on the "most desired". However it is very good on
            breaking apart composite factors generated by other tools.
          • jim_fougeron
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 17, 2004
              The "tool" in question is part of the Miracl big number library
              (at least that is what the output text looks like). Miracl
              can be downloaded from:

              http://indigo.ie/~mscott