RE: [PrimeNumbers] Question on slopes and intersects

  • Milton Brown
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 7, 2004
      Your problem as stated has no solution.

      Consider the line y = x*sqrt(2).
      Any point (x1,y1) on the line, can not have
      both x and y be whole numbers.

      Perhaps you wish to re-state your problem.

      Milton L. Brown
      miltbrown@...

    • trilliwig
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 7, 2004
        --- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com, Kevin Acres <research@r...> wrote:
        > I should add the clarification that y1 and y2
        > even though not whole numbers are also not irrational. So
        eventually the
        > line will intersect an x,y coordinate where both are whole numbers,
        I just
        > don't know how to calculate this.

        This doesn't involve factoring; all you have to do is write the slope
        of the line as a fraction in lowest terms, which can be done with a
        gcd computation.

        Sam