nextprime/prevprime

  • hillcino368
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 26, 2004
      Hi,

      Pari produces pseudoprimes for nextprime and precprime. Does Maple
      and mathematica produce pseudoprimes in the test for nextprime or
      prevprime?

      Thanks,
      CLH
    • Jud McCranie
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 26, 2004
        At 12:29 AM 8/27/2004, hillcino368 wrote:
        >Hi,
        >
        >Pari produces pseudoprimes for nextprime and precprime. Does Maple
        >and mathematica produce pseudoprimes in the test for nextprime or
        >prevprime?

        I don't know for sure, but Maple probably uses its IsPrime function, which
        does a strong pseudo-prime test combined with a Lucas test, for which there
        are no known composites that simultaneously pass both tests (at least that
        was the case a few years ago).