Re: RE:[Factoring large numbers

  • Jay Berg
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 14, 2004
      --- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com, "cino hilliard"
      <hillcino368@h...> wrote:

      > One poster claims to factor 150,000 digit numbers. Here is a 350
      digit
      > number. I do not see it any
      > different than the RSA challenges in this category. We will see.

      Try running a few ECM curves on F20 (20th Fermat Number) and you'll
      be attempting to factor a 315,653 digit number. Factoring of 150k
      digit numbers is nothing new in the 21st Century. :)

      As to the RSA comparison... When you're willing to put up $20k in
      prize money, I suspect you'll get people trying to factor your
      number. But if you do, make certain to post a reasonable challenge
      and/or a reasonable reward. The next RSA challenge (RSA-640, $20k
      prize) is only 193 digits with factors estimated at 85-88 digits.
      While the RSA-1024 challenge is 309-digits with a $100k prize. So I
      figure you'll need about $250k as a prize to get anyone to take your
      challenge very seriously.