Re: [PrimeNumbers] Re: Modulo order

  • Kevin Acres
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 7, 2004
      Hi,

      I have two experimental methods under investigation for this problem.

      One is the 'reverse algorithm' as mentioned a week or so back.

      A second method involves growing a 'binary tree'. This works from
      knowing that the final modulo result in a trial factorisation is 1.
      From this you can grow a tree, which will eventually give you the
      number that you want.

      The trick with the tree is to spot non-fruitful branches and to 'prune
      them'. You also need to control the growth of the tree, since there
      are many possible results, which are multiples of the one that you
      want. The terminal condition for any branch of the tree is to trial
      factor the number that you just generated and to check for a modulo 1
      result.

      Once you have grown a few trees then you will start to see the 1's and
      0's of the binary representation of a number as a series of decision
      points. From that you can start to appreciate that the final order 2
      is as much a result of the spacings of 1's and 0's of the original
      number as anything else.

      The whole trick with this approach is to grow each branch one level at
      a time. This prevents uncontrolled growth of any one branch. Another
      thing is to watch out for repeating sequences, these need weeding out
      too.

      Kevin.

      > --- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com, "joseph_osiecki" <osieckis@n...>
      > wrote:
      > > Can someone give me some more details on working out the order of
      > an
      > > element mod p when we have a factorization of p-1?
      > > Please use the following example p = 176963110569601 =
      > > 2^7*3*5^2*151*1367*89303 = 1. The order of 2 is
      22120388821200.