The top-level ECMNET server has found a new home.

  • Paul Leyland
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 5, 2004
      A week or so ago I posted a request for a volunteer to host the top-level ECMNET server which has to be moved from Microsoft Research in Cambridge, where it has lived for almost six years. Several people volunteered and I thank them all.

      Phil Carmody was the first of the volunteers. He and his system are an ideal match to what is required for the ECMNET server. Accordingly, he and I spent a little time over the last few days migrating data across to his machine and verifying that the server works correctly under full load. Part of this testing was to change what used to be the master server into a slave of the new one. All seems well and anyone who has been contributing ECM work recently has already used Phil's server albeit indirectly.

      Now the practical details. There is precisely one change that you should need to make to your ecmclient.cfg (if running a client) and ecmserver.cfg (if you are running a slave server). This, of course, is to set the IP address of the new server to be 62.236.152.54 rather than what's there already, probably 213.199.145.29 or 213.199.145.253 or red.cam.uk.eu.microsoft.com. Note that Phil's machine does not have an entry in the DNS as far as I can tell, so you have to use the IP address 62.236.152.54.

      Please make this change ASAP. I can not guarantee that the present server will remain functional beyond the end of this week. I'll mail directly every identifiable client's owner but I know from experience that not all can be easily identified, hence this plea in a public forum.

      Many thanks to Phil and to everyone who has run the ECMNET client/server software over the years.

      Paul