Re: [PrimeNumbers] A proof for the Riemann Hypothesis?

  • David Cleaver
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 9, 2004
      Jose Ramón Brox wrote:

      > http://www.math.purdue.edu/ftp_pub/branges/apology.pdf
      >
      > Jose Brox
      > http://espanol.groups.yahoo.com/group/Telecomunicacion/
      > (www.brox.tk)
      > ambroxius@...
      > MSN Messenger: artifex_ad_infinitum@...

      It looks like the apology is separate from the proof. The apology is 23
      pages and gives a lot of personal history and other mathematical details
      which I don't understand. But, as I saw someone point out, on his page
      located at:
      http://www.math.purdue.edu/~branges/
      It looks like the actual proof is the "Riemann zeta functions" pdf file,
      3rd link down, on that page. It weighs in at a hefty 124 pages. The
      direct link to the pdf is here:
      http://www.math.purdue.edu/ftp_pub/branges/riemannzeta.pdf
      Just thought I'd clear that up because I know originally it confused me.

      -David C.
    • mikeoakes2@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 10, 2004
        In a message dated 10/06/04 05:41:07 GMT Daylight Time, wraithx@...
        writes:

        > It looks like the apology is separate from the proof. The apology is 23
        > pages and gives a lot of personal history and other mathematical details
        > which I don't understand. But, as I saw someone point out, on his page
        > located at:
        > http://www.math.purdue.edu/~branges/
        > It looks like the actual proof is the "Riemann zeta functions" pdf file,
        > 3rd link down, on that page. It weighs in at a hefty 124 pages. The
        > direct link to the pdf is here:
        > http://www.math.purdue.edu/ftp_pub/branges/riemannzeta.pdf
        > Just thought I'd clear that up because I know originally it confused me.

        This press release from his university (Purdue)
        http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2004-06/pu-pmc060804.php
        gives some useful background material.

        His paper is a very long read, and it's hard to spot at what point the
        Riemann hypothesis for the familiar zeta(s) is established, as he is claiming to
        prove it for a much wider class of zeta-type functions. The axioms assumed are
        also highly non-trivial and interlinked, involving quaternions, p-adic norms,
        adeles, Hilbert spaces, etc, and take about 80 page to set up, so the proof
        might end up being tautological(?).

        We will have to await the verdict of peer review of his paper by those up to
        the task!

        -Mike Oakes