RE: [PrimeNumbers] Re: Cicada cycles - A little on the light side

  • Torbjorn Alm
    Message 1 of 4 , May 19, 2004
      Hi,

      the fact that that the cikadas have a very long period with a
      prime number of years give them an edge against its predators.
      Even if they one year happen to appear at the same time, it will
      take a long time before next hit.

      Torbjorn Alm
      Tranholmsvagen 3
      17832 Ekero
      Phone: +46 8 560 30751
      Mail: torbjorn.alm@...

    • Paul Jobling
      Message 2 of 4 , May 20, 2004
        Predators are not the main driver though, in my opinion - it is *other* cicada swarms who would be
        competing for the same resources. Through natural selection, nature has driven the cicadas to emerge
        at intervals of large primes.

        One wonders how long ago it was that the swarms with period five and seven became extinct; also is
        there now an ecological niche for the emergence of a swarm with a short period to gain the upper
        hand?

      • Shane
        Message 3 of 4 , May 22, 2004
          Interesting topic generally,
          Natural seleciton, is controlled by the random yet organized process
          of DNA(creation) and the process of Death(lifesyle), or sieving as I
          like to refer to it. Only the prime candidates survive, and
          composites become residue.

          Oh and let's not forget those little atoms either!
          (there is no spoon, only a random probability)
          ;')

          --- In primenumbers@yahoogroups.com, "Paul Jobling"